help with Connecting PC to stereo receiver...?

scottgomer23

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi I am building a new computer and am probably going to buy the abit fatal1ty 939 mobo with its own soundcard... (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1227360&CatId=1772)

I would like to run all audio through my stereo receiver. The onboard soundcard of the ABIT mobo has SP/DIF OUT.. Is it possible to connect the digital sp/dif out from the mobo to My receiver's (JVC RX 6020V) SP/DIF IN?

I do not want to use a cheap mini jack to RCA adapter because I would like to send it digital to my receiver.

If this is not possible.. would I have to buy something like the m-audio US41500C Sound Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829121103) and just run RCA cables straight to my reciever?

The builtin soundcard normally causes interference with a reciever, you will hear lots of "air" through your home speakers. Usually, the purchase of an isolated soundcard will resolve that problem. And also helps if turn off all the "Mic In, Line In, Wave, etc.." in the sound and speaker settings control panel. I have a builtin soundcard with my Chaintech 7NJS that I didn't need to do this. But, my lower grade ECS mobo with builtin sound, I needed to do this setup. Chaintech has SPDFin/out, but not the ECS. Hope this helps.

Heeter

1) You shouldn't have interference problems on the mobo if you are running digital out. Most interference comes from the analog stream. If there is intereference, it's just bad board design.

2) That board is optical digital out, so you will have to make sure that your receiver has an open optical in.

3) I didn't look at the chip too in depth, but you will want to make sure that the chip does not resample on the outputs. In other words, you want "bit-perfect" output.

4) A cheap solution would be the Chaintech AV-710, which does offer bit perfect digital optical out and can be had for about $25.

If the mobo has a mini jack digital output (which I'm guessing it has as well as optical out) and the stereo has an RCA input, it's ok to use a mini jack to RCA adpater. I've tried it and it works. If you can, you might want to find a mono mini jack to RCA adapter to make it look cleaner. ;) The signal won't deteriorate or anything (since it's digital).

what kind of cable would I have to run to my reciever from the sp/dif out from either the Chaintech AV-710 or the on board sp/dif out?

The following is the specs for the inputs/outputs of my receiver...

Audio
Audio Input Sensitivity/Impedance (1 kHz): DVD, VCR, TV SOUND, CD, TAPE/CDR:

220 mV/47 k

Audio Input (DIGITAL IN)* : Coaxial: DIGITAL 1 (DVD): 0.5 V (p-p)/75 .

Optical: DIGITAL 2 (CD): –21 dBm to –15 dBm (660 nm ±30 nm)

* Corresponds to Linear PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS Digital Surround

(with sampling frequency
32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz).

Audio Output Level: TAPE/CDR, VCR: 220 mV

Signal-to-Noise Ratio
(’66 IHF/’78 IHF): DVD, VCR, TV SOUND, CD, TAPE/CDR:

87 dB/78 dB

Frequency Response (8
.): DVD, VCR, TV SOUND, CD, TAPE/CDR:

20 Hz to 20 kHz (±1 dB)

Tone Control: Bass (100 Hz): ±10 dB

Treble (10 kHz): ±10 dB

with these specs in mind... would i beable to run sp/dif from soundcard to receiver?

yes , you can use the optical out for the computer to the receiver. you will need an optical cable of the appropiate length. a footnote after i believe 10 meters the quality of the signal degrades due to refraction witihin the optical cable. I will have to check on this, but your computer should be within 2 meters to the receiver for optimal quality

Last edited:
Toslink is optical digital (aka fiber).

Digital out can also be coax, generally with RCA (cinch) jacks. The coax allows you to run longer distances.

The digital out of the board should be fine unless you are looking for "bit-perfect" output. Very few ac97 chips do bit perfect.

Like Dreamer said, I would myself just move to a isolated soundcard for full effect and no problems.

Heeter

so if i bought the chaintech soundcard It would carry the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound to my receiver through optical sp/dif but using the mobo's sp/dif i cant get the surround sound?

no, the soundcard would let you take the stream from the computer to the stereo, it would modulate at 44.1khz pcm and your stereo would then either keep this in 2 channel, or you push a button and matrix the sound into 5 channel +

scottgomer23 said:
so if i bought the chaintech soundcard It would carry the 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound to my receiver through optical sp/dif but using the mobo's sp/dif i cant get the surround sound?

It can either be whatever format is native (bit perfect), or upmixed for 5.1 or 7.1, however, I'd let the receiver do the upmixing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back