Help: New Laptop with free Vista upgrade

ming

OSNN Advanced
Hi, I just purchased a new laptop which has XP pre-installed and I'm entitled to a free Vista upgrade on it. However, before I actually go and apply for the free upgrade I've got a query on the validity of the existing XP licence once I've received the upgrade disc.

I'm wanting to take up the upgrade offer before it expires at the end of this month, but I'm not 100% sure whether I want Vista installed on the laptop just yet. So, if I do receive the upgrade disc, but I don't install the upgrade - will my XP licence still be valid?

Don't see why not.

Check with the vendor to be absolutely sure.

I haven't been as on top of news as I'd like of late, so things may have changed - but I'm pretty sure that if you install a Vista upgrade over your XP installation it does void your license for XP.

I haven't been as on top of news as I'd like of late, so things may have changed - but I'm pretty sure that if you install a Vista upgrade over your XP installation it does void your license for XP.

Yes it does...because it is an upgrade. You loose your XP license.

Therefore: do a fresh install of Vista, but do not enter the code so you are still in try out mode. Once installed, reboot, start Vista, do not activate and from within Vista install/upgrade again. This time Vista thinks it is upgrading, enter the code and activate it after reboot. This way you can install an upgrade version from scratch, like it was the full version.

I think you guys are missing the point here... I was asking whether my XP licence will still be valid once I've received my Vista upgrade disc. I haven't said anything about it being valid after installing Vista.

Well technically your Vista license would only be valid for that one machine. So, in theory, once you receive that license it would nullify your legal license for XP.

Of course, both of those assumptions will assume you follow the rules. Technically, I would assume you could probably use that method to install Vista on another machine but that would be frowned upon.

Well technically your Vista license would only be valid for that one machine. So, in theory, once you receive that license it would nullify your legal license for XP.

Of course, both of those assumptions will assume you follow the rules. Technically, I would assume you could probably use that method to install Vista on another machine but that would be frowned upon.

Never thought of that, but thanx for the suggestion.. lol :p
No, I wouldn't have considered getting Vista to use on a different machine. I just don't want to lose out on the free upgrade offer, but at the same time, I'm not ready to move to Vista just yet. Therefore I want to get the upgrade disc, but put it aside for the time being until I'm ready to upgrade it to Vista.

That may be a grey area - as Sazar originally suggested you may want to get clarification from your manufacturer.

From what I gather up until the point that vista is installed the xp licence remains valid which is a good thing with how long Moduslink are taking to deliver the upgrades!

From what I gather up until the point that vista is installed the xp licence remains valid which is a good thing with how long Moduslink are taking to deliver the upgrades!

I've applied for the upgrade already... do I have to send/fax a copy of the receipt over to them too?

I've applied for the upgrade already... do I have to send/fax a copy of the receipt over to them too?
You do need to send them a copy of the proof of purchase, along with the upgrade voucher which you write the serial number on.
Although I don't know how each individual manufacturer is dealing with the upgrades, mine was a generic OEM version of Media Centre edition purchased at the same time as the parts for my my pc, which came with a free upgrade voucher.

You do need to send them a copy of the proof of purchase, along with the upgrade voucher which you write the serial number on.
Although I don't know how each individual manufacturer is dealing with the upgrades, mine was a generic OEM version of Media Centre edition purchased at the same time as the parts for my my pc, which came with a free upgrade voucher.

There wasn't a voucher with the product. Guessing that it's old stock.
I can fax a copy of the receipt to their Netherland office though (with order confirmation reference.) Hope that's enough.

When you applied what did the email you received say?

well I did the upgrade thing with moduslink and worked great. What I did was fill out the upgrade form, with receipt and online confirmation and faxed it in. That made things go way faster than mailing. I had my update change in days after faxing as opposed to weeks or even months with the mail in.

The XP license stays valid when you order and even receive the upgrade. Activating Vista is another story. It should stay valid after installing vista but YMMV. Depending on whether you want to stay legal or not is a whole other story. (don't want to go to far with the OEM activation stuff)

Sorry for perhaps coming across as an idiot, but wouldn't it have been easy enought just to phone Microsoft and ask them? At least then you would gain the required info "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak.

Anyway, on the topic of Vista and you not being quite ready. Vista for me has ran great and I have ran both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I have run into no problems, or seen a single error which was so bad it interrupted the use of my machine. After all, it's going to receive service packs just like every other version Microsoft has released!

Good luck with following your Vista experience though.

:)

Faxed my proof of purchase to moduslink yesterday and got a confirmation email this morning saying the product will be delivered within the next 4-6 weeks. :p

@Sean, I've been playing around with Vista beta on my desktop without a lot of problems on the appication side of things, however, vista is quite taxing when it comes to hardware though. my gpu fan is spinning at max from boot up to shut down, and performance is sluggish even with 2GB of ram.

I've looked at the performance score on the laptops that already have vista pre-installed and they all come up with 3.1~3.3. The way things are at the moment with all the crap pre-installed on my laptop, I think will move over to vista and maybe put the basic theme on..

Disc was dispatched last Wed, received an invoice for the upgrade handling costs in the post today but still no disc. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back