Help needed to install power supply

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nutty88, Sep 30, 2002.

1. nutty88

nutty88 Guest

I need to install a new power supply unit for my PC.I've installed other things but never a PSU.Can anyone help me? Is it easy enough for me to do?

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it's as simple as unplugging all the old power connectors from the drives and motherboard.. unscrewing the 4 screws that hold it to the back of the case... slide it out and slide the new one in... reinstall the 4 screws... and plug everything back in. good luck.

3. Piece of wee wee mate, should be 4 screws holding it in, and possibly a plate. Just uplug the all the connectors, take the PSU unit out (you possibly will need to take out your CD-ROMS) stick the new one back in the same way the old one came out, screw it all up, plug the stuff back in and done.

That's from my experience, anyone know of anything to watch out for?

4. nutty88

nutty88 Guest

I just had a look in my case and it does seem simple enough.Now the only thing is I need to buy a new PSU.But I can't seem to find a new one of the one I already have.Is there anywhere online that are in the UK that sells them.I have the details from the sticker on the side of the exising one.I just need to find a partner fir it.

5. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Taurus said it the best and simple way.

One more thing to add, take care to unplugg the outside power connector before anything else, and touch the case to free your hands from any electricity...

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you have a standard ATX case then you can buy any brand of PSU that is ATX (P4 and AMD OK if the computer is a P4 or AMD Athlon). If you have a brand computer (HP, IBM and so on) you may have to buy it directly from the manufacturer.

Look at:
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=14739&t=635&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=13&GrpID=10&s=pl
    or
    http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=24624&t=635&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=13&GrpID=10&s=pl
    for instance.

7. nutty88

nutty88 Guest

I got my PC from Tiny a few years back.It's one of those small Micro cases.According to the sticker on the current PSU it's a 150W but I can find one that matches it anywhere

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Bummer. Those could be harder to find. Ask Tiny?

9. nutty88

nutty88 Guest

Tiny is no more.They were bought by Time Computers.And my onsite warrenty is now useless.I can do it myself (hopefully) if only I had a new PSU