Help! Modem, CDR/RW problems!

N

NeilV.

Hi all,

Just purchased XP Home Edition Upgrade today, and I'm already having major problems.

First, and foremost is that my modem isn't recognised. It's ALWAYS been on Com 2, and Win ME has recognized it with no problem whatsoever. However, WINXP only lets me choose to install a new modem on Coms 1 and 3. If I try to add a new Com port, it goes from # 4 and up. I was told I might have to get an XP driver for my modem, but I just found out my modem has been discontinued.... My Modem is made by Aopen, and is Model number FM56-RS. Please don't tell me I Have to buy a new modem, after just buying a $99 program...

As if that wasn't bad enough, it also won't recognise my burned CDR discs with all my downloaded programs such as MIRC, or Nero Updates. Untill it does, I can't install my ATI TV Tuner program. Burned discs worked perfectly an hour before with WINME, but no more with WINXP...

Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

ok first...the modem...If windows is correctly detecting the modem and wants to install it on com 3...let it, it really won't make a difference.

As for your cd issue...were they burned onto CDs...or CD-RW's...this is important because a CD-RW requires the packet writing software that was used to create it to be able to read it. so if you used incd or directcd or such you would also need to have that installed in XP if it is compatible to read the CD's

Thats one of my main pet peeves to CD-rw's...I've burned maybe 2 in my life, everything else is just on regular cd's no hassle reading or writing :)

Hiya,

Nope, for some reason Windows isn't detecting my modem at all, on any com level. Looks like I may have to go down to Radio shack tommorow and buy a cheap one. Hopefully they'll know what works on XP and what dosn't...

As for the CD's, nope, not CDRW. Just standard old CDR CD's from a Creative Labs 121032 Drive. I use Nero to burn 'em all, and never had a problem under ME...

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back