plastiqued

ok heres my specs.
BIOSTAR M7VKQ
AMD XP2200+
256 pc133 sdram
300W psu
cdrw/dvd combo
80gig hd

when i tried to install xp and its copying files it would always give me several "The file blah blah" was not copied correctly.

but then if i hit enter to retry a few times it would go through.
Eventually i would get through the setup and get into windows.
but even in windows i would get many "could not access memory" errors.

When i get lucky and get into windowsXP i would try to install xp sp1. I get about half way and it would either reboot by itself randomly or give a memory error
or freeze.

Next i tried using a different cdrom to install xp. same file copy errors.

Next i took the 80gig hdd out and put it into my computer and tried to install xp. ran with NO problems.

Next i tried swapping the 256 ram out with 3 other different pc133 128 megs from my machine. same errors. (All the sticks of ram work in my kt7a-raid computer)

I've swapped ide cables around. I've re-setted the ide cables into the motherboard. re-checked the psu connections.

I've updated the award bios.
updated Via4in1's
took out all pci cards.
I've checked my temps.
They are in the mid 40's

I've tried Pio 0 through Pio 4 settings for my harddrive.
tried resetting BIOS.

I checked the biostar website and they list that the m7vkq only supports up to xp2100+

However i bought this cpu and mobo as a bundle from an online retailer. Could this mobo not be able to run the 2200+?
If you do a pricewatch search many retailers sell the m7vkq+2200 bundle as well. Im not sure if this is a scam or something.

What do you guys think i should do?
Do i have a valid argument to return the cpu+motherboard if i call the retailer?

help please =(

In your first couple of lines the symptoms described led me to believe that there were hardware issues, but all the things I would have suggested, you have already done!!
Sorry I can't help, but please keep us up to date!!

TOK

that sounds like a ram problem, or a HD problem. When you put that 80 gig in there, maybe that is what was wrong with the system¿

I had the same problem with a Athlon 1.2 GHz. I tried changing the HDD, the RAM. nothing worked. so I bought a cheap Duron 1300. That fixed my problem.... so it is most likely a bad CPU, or a mis-supported CPU. Check for BIOS updates.

Check your CPU temps (could be a cooling problem)

if that is the case(being the processor) see if there are soft settings or jumpers to change your cpu speed.(FSB/multi) And I will still continue doing a search to see if there is another solution!

Well to try to install SP1 on a computer that barely boots is a useless.

I would be concerned that the mobo isn't listed for your chip.

When it posts, is everything identified correctly in the BIOS?

Do you have the CDRom on a different IDE channel than the HD?

You might try buying a high quality PS of at least 350w from a place where it can be returned if un-needed. Many twitchy little problems have been fixed with a good PS.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back