HELP MAJOR PROBLEM with new system !!!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by plastiqued, Nov 20, 2002.

1. plastiqued

plastiqued Guest

ok heres my specs.
    AMD XP2200+
    256 pc133 sdram
    300W psu
    cdrw/dvd combo
    80gig hd

when i tried to install xp and its copying files it would always give me several "The file blah blah" was not copied correctly.

but then if i hit enter to retry a few times it would go through.
    Eventually i would get through the setup and get into windows.
    but even in windows i would get many "could not access memory" errors.

When i get lucky and get into windowsXP i would try to install xp sp1. I get about half way and it would either reboot by itself randomly or give a memory error
    or freeze.

Next i tried using a different cdrom to install xp. same file copy errors.

Next i took the 80gig hdd out and put it into my computer and tried to install xp. ran with NO problems.

Next i tried swapping the 256 ram out with 3 other different pc133 128 megs from my machine. same errors. (All the sticks of ram work in my kt7a-raid computer)

I've swapped ide cables around. I've re-setted the ide cables into the motherboard. re-checked the psu connections.

I've updated the award bios.
    updated Via4in1's
    took out all pci cards.
    I've checked my temps.
    They are in the mid 40's

I've tried Pio 0 through Pio 4 settings for my harddrive.
    tried resetting BIOS.

I checked the biostar website and they list that the m7vkq only supports up to xp2100+

However i bought this cpu and mobo as a bundle from an online retailer. Could this mobo not be able to run the 2200+?
    If you do a pricewatch search many retailers sell the m7vkq+2200 bundle as well. Im not sure if this is a scam or something.

What do you guys think i should do?
    Do i have a valid argument to return the cpu+motherboard if i call the retailer?

help please =(
  2. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Cornwall Nr. England
    In your first couple of lines the symptoms described led me to believe that there were hardware issues, but all the things I would have suggested, you have already done!!
    Sorry I can't help, but please keep us up to date!!

3. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

Philadelphia PA
    that sounds like a ram problem, or a HD problem. When you put that 80 gig in there, maybe that is what was wrong with the system¿
  4. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

I had the same problem with a Athlon 1.2 GHz. I tried changing the HDD, the RAM. nothing worked. so I bought a cheap Duron 1300. That fixed my problem.... so it is most likely a bad CPU, or a mis-supported CPU. Check for BIOS updates.

Check your CPU temps (could be a cooling problem)
  5. vdubVR6

vdubVR6 Guest

if that is the case(being the processor) see if there are soft settings or jumpers to change your cpu speed.(FSB/multi) And I will still continue doing a search to see if there is another solution!
  6. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

Well to try to install SP1 on a computer that barely boots is a useless.

I would be concerned that the mobo isn't listed for your chip.

When it posts, is everything identified correctly in the BIOS?

Do you have the CDRom on a different IDE channel than the HD?

You might try buying a high quality PS of at least 350w from a place where it can be returned if un-needed. Many twitchy little problems have been fixed with a good PS.