Help I Have A Virus

lieb39

Apple lover, PC User
Sorry about the title but it's very important...

I have a virus, I downloaded it off kazaa. I have no idea what the virus is called, or how I can fix it but I need to get rid of it! What happend was I restarted my computer and nothing except the essential windows stuff loaded, so I tried clicking on a shortcut and it said the program didn't exist. It said this for every shortcut, and program that I tried to open from the run or explorer. I tried to open a .txt file with CMD and I was in the prompt, from there I could open everything fine. Now I'm stuck here and I can't think of what the problem is. It's not the Marijuana virus because I don't have anything beside my system tray. By the way, when I start windows it gives me a message saying "c:\windows\system32\system32.exe could not be found."

HELP ME!

You will probably have to do a reformat - don't restore, it will not get rid of it. Delete the partition recreate the partition and reinstal the os ...

You won't need to format at all.

It sounds like the virus has been removed (hence the error at boot and the problems running applications)

Step 1: Run the reg patch from http://www.ntfs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30279&highlight=reg

Step 2: Search the registry for "system32.exe" you will find it referenced in the run keys. Remove the values.

Step 3: Reboot

Prior to any of that use Housecall or Panda Active scan to ensure your system is clean.

Fixed. It was easy, just the .exe file thing was trying to open with winamp... weird.... anyways, i got norton so I will always keep that running now. Thanks mate.

Probably not really winamp ;) Viruses add themselves as the EXE handler so they run when you run a application.

Anyway, as long as your clean and running a updated NAV :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back