Help Getting Back to XP

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by one.123, Jul 29, 2007.

1. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

So i got a new pc, its a gateway, comes with vista home, long story short i want xp back. problem is whenver i try to install it using the boot cd, i get the blue screen with the code:
    0xF78D63C
    0xC0000034
    0x0000000
    0x0000000
    ive been doing a little research and it seems like xp can't install on sata drives? so i looked around and someone said it would work if i set the sata to read as IDE in the bios options, but that didn't work either, so im guessing my only option is to create a new xp boot disc with proper drivers bundled in? or can someone shed some light?

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

just put the sata drivers on a floppy disk and tell XP to look for it there.

ming likes this.
  3. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

thanks for the reply but lemme elaborate:
    the computer doesn't come with a floppy drive :(
    i believe my only option is to "slipstream" windows? right now im integrating sp2 into the xp boot disc but thats as far as this tutorial goes, you wouldn't happen to know how to add drivers to the xp disc would you?

4. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
    one.123 likes this.
  5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Or if that looks like too much work download "nlite" and follow the simple GUI.

Just for grins have you called Gateway and complained about the "defective" operating system they pre-installed and told them you want install disks for XP with drivers included or you will be forced to return ther PC and bring charges against them for selling defective mecrchandise? :)

Class action suits have already been launched against deceptive business practices associated with VISTA.

6. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

haha thanks for that nlite tip...the instructions looked a little crazy haha, and another thing, where can i download the needed sata drivers, do i need a certain one or is there a generic one i can use?

7. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

gateway should provide them. But really using an xp machine without a floppy drive is daft :)

one.123 likes this.
  8. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

im guessing i need to get drivers made for xp yes? the gateway site only lists drivers for vista :(

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

ever heard of google?

10. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

ok i think i got the right driver.. but nlite is asking for a .inf file and the driver i dl'd is a .exe, i tried extracting through dos but it ignores the command and just runs the setup, what can i do?

11. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

run the setup until the first dialog box. Find the extracted drivers and copy them onto a disk :)

Use that brain of yours and learn something new :)

12. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Skip nLite and do it manually. Don't cheat like Lee does. =]

13. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

14. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

you need to look in hidden folders under your user folder. I'm quite confident you'll figure it out :)

15. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

nah nah it wwas in the windows temp folder my bad haha thanks for the help i hope this works

16. one.123

one.123 -0-;;

alright now it seems that my disc won't boot... :( im using nero 7, settings that change are selecting CD (boot) then the type of emulation : no emulation, changing the label name and joilet to the original name of my xp disc and im using the microsoft corporation.img from the original disc anything im missing or doing wrong?

17. Until SATA became mainstream I considered floppy disks obsolete. Now I am undone because they insist on using dinosaur technology! Why Microsoft can't just make it so you can look for the drivers on a cd I don't know.

18. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

one.123, nlite will make a boot cd iso for you.

19. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Floppy disks are useful for more than just sata drivers :)

20. I'm not having a go, I'm just interested in knowing:
    But what do you use them for? I haven't used a floppy for anything other than SATA drivers in about 5 years!