Help! Dual Channel RAM Problem!

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
I've screwed up a bit with my new rig. I bought 512MB of Crucial PC3200 RAM with a mobo and CPU from Komplett. Now that worked fine, I had no problems. Then, I decided to buy another 512MB of the same RAM, with the same manufacturere code, but from Dabs. When it arrived, the box was identical to that of the first RAM. However, when I took it out of the box, I noticed that it was double sided, whereas the 1st lot of RAM I got was single sided. I was a bit suspicious but I tried to run them on the same channel, and lo and behold my system wouldn't boot. So at present, I've got them on different channels, so I still have the full 1GB but it's only single not dual channel. What has happened here? Who has sent the wrong RAM? Or should I have bought it from the same supplier?
Also, what kind of speed increase would I get from running dual channel. Eventually, I will want 2GB of RAM, will I be able to use 2 double sided on one channel and 2 single sided on the other channel?

EDIT: Also, I my system has completely frozen twice since installing the new RAM in a different channel, and I hadn't had a single problem when just using the first RAM that I got.

Last edited:
From my personal experience, it is always best to use the SAME EXACT RAM througout a system. You want this for a few reasons, but mostly to make sure the clock speeds and CAS Latency are identical. If not, they will all slow down to the slowest chip. As far as the wrong type, although RAM may look correct at first glance, if you are off by one digit on those long 8-16 model numbers on some RAM types, you will receive something different. Don't even rest on comparing pictures, because sometimes those are stock photos. You don't "have to" get from the same manufacturer, but if you can't, verify the model number EXACTLY. This way, if it happens again, they are 100% at fault.

It's no surprise that your computer is freezing, it probably is getting confused with the different RAM types. I would take out the double-sided chip, either return it or eBay it (if the return grace period has expried) and get the proper type.

Thanks for the reply. The RAM only arrived yesterday, so I'll see if I can return it. The only problem is, how does one know whether the RAM is double or single sided? The codes on the packs and on the websites are identical, the only difference is on the sticker on the RAM itself; they both have the same code but with an extra few digits that differ stuck on the end, i.e. CT6464Z40B.16d or something, and CT6464Z40B.8dw. I can't remember exactly what they are, but these extra digits on the end of the code on the RAM are not shown anywhere on the box or on either website. I've emailed Komplett and Dabs, so I'll have to wait to see what they suggest. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Reps out as usual.

ray_gillespie said:
Thanks for the reply. The RAM only arrived yesterday, so I'll see if I can return it. The only problem is, how does one know whether the RAM is double or single sided? The codes on the packs and on the websites are identical, the only difference is on the sticker on the RAM itself; they both have the same code but with an extra few digits that differ stuck on the end, i.e. CT6464Z40B.16d or something, and CT6464Z40B.8dw. I can't remember exactly what they are, but these extra digits on the end of the code on the RAM are not shown anywhere on the box or on either website. I've emailed Komplett and Dabs, so I'll have to wait to see what they suggest. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Reps out as usual.

Can you link to the items where they were purchased from?

Looks like you have a legitimate case. On the Dabs page, I noticed, it says "Image for Illustrative Purposes only". But, the Manufacturer Part Number are identical, I'd wait to see what they have to say. It definitely appears one of them messed up, good luck.

Its easiest to buy identical RAM, preferably from the same place... worst case, you will have to pay the restocking fee...

I would fight it, plus if you paid with a Credit card just send it back and refuse payment on the CC...

I have been through this numerous times... and I have won all but one.... and on that one the only thing I didnt get back was shipping and partial restocking fee...

:D

had the same problem when i bought a module of memory from ebuyer,that was double sided and made abroad (can't remember where )the memory which i bought from crucial was single sided and made in the uk (which is printed on sticker fixed to module).My motherboard would not accept these two different modules so i bought more ram from crucial and now running dual at 2048 and got rid of the other memory on ebay!if you order from crucial you get free postage and next day delivery,and little bit cheaper .:laugh:

I've just had an email back from Komplett saying that they use mixed batches and they cannot confirm whether what they despatch will be single or double sided. What is that about?
As for Dabs, I'm slightly concerned about my pc freezing twice in one night while I had both sets of RAM installed. Is it more likely to be the Dabs RAM being defective, or having both sets installed, that is the problem?
What should I do? I can't believe I can't find out whether I am ordering single or double sided RAM!

ray_gillespie said:
I've just had an email back from Komplett saying that they use mixed batches and they cannot confirm whether what they despatch will be single or double sided. What is that about?
As for Dabs, I'm slightly concerned about my pc freezing twice in one night while I had both sets of RAM installed. Is it more likely to be the Dabs RAM being defective, or having both sets installed, that is the problem?
What should I do? I can't believe I can't find out whether I am ordering single or double sided RAM!

The best thing I can suggest is find out which vendor can actually guarentee what they will ship. When you find which one won't, return the stick to that vendor, and re-buy from the other vendor. Sticky regardless.

all ram modules from crucial uk are single sided,of the 4 modules in my base unit 3 are direct from crucial uk.the other which i bought from e bay. go to their web site its quite good and helpfull.

double channel doesn't really speed things up, even though its supposed to theoritically its supposed to almost double the mem speed. but in true life i think the increase is like 10-15%.

Cool, well I just emailed them to see if they will confirm that it is single sided. Hopefully Dabs will take my old RAM back, and then I'll get the new RAM from Crucial. Thanks the for the tip mate.
I still can't believe that places can't confirm whether the RAM is single or double sided! Why do they even make it? Is double sided RAM for export markets or something?

lancer said:
double channel doesn't really speed things up, even though its supposed to theoritically its supposed to almost double the mem speed. but in true life i think the increase is like 10-15%.

It does strike me as a lot of fuss over not very much, but I just assembled a whole new PC (except graphics card) and I've been waiting so long for this that I want everything running as best as possible.

lancer said:

Depending on what kind of memory, you can get significant increases in performance ESPECIALLY if you OC....

dragonbeat said:
all ram modules from crucial uk are single sided,of the 4 modules in my base unit 3 are direct from crucial uk.the other which i bought from e bay. go to their web site its quite good and helpfull.

I got an email back from Crucial, and they told me that I would probably get single sided if I ordered off the website, but they could guarantee that I would get it if I ordered over the phone, which I have now done. About £38 inc. VAT and with free next day delivery. I am very impressed, if this thing comes as promised I will henceforth always get RAM direct from these dudes!

mlakrid said:
Depending on what kind of memory, you can get significant increases in performance ESPECIALLY if you OC....

That is true, but in my experience why overclock the mem, just buy more and faster in the beginning.

Well, it arrived this morning! Crucial are excellent, I only ordered it yesterday afternoon, and I didn't even have to pay postage.
I fitted it an hour ago and it worked perfectly. 128-bit dual channel all the way!

I've still heard nothing from Dabs however.

:) glad you liked the service ,they also supply graphic cards also which im sure are a bit cheaper.:yowch:

Guys, he is running a socket 939 rig. Dual channel RAM will do memory transfers significantly faster (not much impact for gaming but a big improvement in audio & video conversion and data intesive applications).

On a socket 754 or the old socket A dual channel memory does nothing because the FSB is chokng throughput.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back