Help! Creative Sound hate my Mobo!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ray_gillespie, May 10, 2002.

1. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Hi,
    I got a new ABIT KT7A motherboard the other day, with a 1.4GHz Athlon. I transfered all my stuff from my old computer, and everything was fine. I went to bed, leaving my computer on for ICS. When I woke up, the sound had simply stopped working. It seemed fine in all aspects i.e. no conflicts etc, and it looked as if it was playing mp3s and stuff, but there's simply no sound coming out of my speakers. It's a SB 128 PCI card. Weird thing is, the speakers are fine, and the soundcard is fine cos I've tried it in 2 other PCs. I even tried a SB Live 1024 card in mine and that wouldn't work either. I've tried all the PCI slots, tried removing all my cards, formatted and reinstalled windows and everything. There's no technical support cos it's an OEM model so I'm a bit screwed really. Strange thing is, I've borrowed my mates cheap SB emulating sound card and that worked fine. Any clues whatsoever?
    Cheers,
    Ray.

2. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

I assume you've tried reinstalling the latest drivers?

3. ray_gillespie

Yeah, I've tried original drivers, generic drivers and the very latest Creative XP ones. Help! :(

4. stuy_b

stuy_b Guest

Hmm, I dunno m8. sorry. :rolleyes:It could be sharing an IRQ with another device, but that wouldnt explain the sudden failure.

5. patrick

patrick OSNN Addict

Well if it's not the speakers, the soundcard, or the info on your your hard-drive, then really the only thing you have left to blame is the motherboard.
    Try looking through the bios and if you can't find anything interesting then you could always try resetting it.
    Also, try looking for information on the motherboard site. I know someone who had a seemingly unexplainable problem that was fixed by downloading and flashing his bios via the motherboard website.

Just a suggestion,
    Patrick

6. ray_gillespie

Thanks for your help. Sadly, I've already reset my mobo, and got the latest BIOS. I've been through all the settings and can't find anything. Oh well. Cheers anyway.