HELP!!! cant see my hard disk

Stupid question we forgot to ask. Do you have the master/slave jumpers on the back of the HD's set the right positions?

The old drive should be set to slave and the one already in the computer should be set to master.

And does the old drive have windows installed on it? If it does there may be a conflict. Windows does not like 2 system disks installed at teh same time.

I wonder if it is possible this hard drive was installed one time before and it was set as a dynamic volume and now that you have removed it from its native settings it is now considered a non formatted area, and because it was a dynamic disk it now has no setting. If the disk manager is trying to get you to format it then this is what I think is going on. At this point I would get a hold of partition magic boot disks , and boot off the floppys and look at the hard drives from there, again not formatting anything nor making changes.

The thing with the formatting though, is that a fat32 system will not see a ntfs disk. Unless they changed it from the last time I checked .. I was thinking that if he could see it in safe mode he could format it there ..

As a last resort I would do as you stated kermit, run a boot floppy. Something like acronis disk director and see if it is visible there. Then I would foramt it ..

Windows XP can handle both , When we had windows 98 it was not able to see NTFS partitions ...Windows XP handles both.

Kermit_The_Frog said:
Windows XP can handle both , When we had windows 98 it was not able to see NTFS partitions ...Windows XP handles both.

So if the windows drive is formatted to fat32 you will see a ntfs drive that is hooked up to it ??? That is cool .. I didn't know they changed it .

The ability to read an NTFS drive isn't in what the Windows partition/drive is using as a file system. It's the ability of the Operating System.

Unlike Windows 98, Windows XP (And possible 2000) can read both FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back