help buying a wireless router?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Impulse4life, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Impulse4life

Impulse4life Windows Perfectionist

Hey guys. I'm getting myself a wireless router and I wanted to ask you guys a question first. I was considering getting the DI-624 like THIS one. But before I do I was wondering this one thing. If Im the only computer connected to it on the internet... will my download speeds decrease alot/any? I have an adsl connection with the following test results

Test running..........
    ** Speed 1223(down)/654(up) kbps **
    (At least 22 times faster than a 56k modem)

If you need to know more please let me know! Thanks for any help!! :cool:
  2. Aussie983

Aussie983 ßµ®ηiή Şiliςδη

if you are going to be the only computer connected...i would suggest getting a 802.11b wireless router. 802.11b (11Mbps) is still about 4x as fast as standard broadband connections. 108 Mbps is overkill for just one computer, and you won't see any improvement over a cheaper 802.11b router. I've also heard that the newer WAPs offer higher speeds but less range. I can go about 4-5 townhouses down and still get a connection :D has my router for $32 after rebates:

i got mine at bestbuy at a sale for only $20
  3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

London, UK
    if money no object....

then personally I would go for the (emerging) 802.11g standard (presently at draft stage, but I myself have a wi-fi notebook enabled to this standard).

This will be at least six times faster than the 802.11b kit and although it may not matter to you immediately if you start adding devices or computers to your network and any of them start getting bandwidth heavy then you are kitted out to handle it, instead of needing an upgrade.

If you cannot think how you would use the bandwidth - then imagine having a half dozen wireless webcams around your house and viewing them on your PC in real time - that would eat your bandwidth OK! :cool: