help a complete linux n00b choose

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by sboulema, Jul 16, 2003.

1. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

Im a complete linux n00b and i wanna checkout linux, but i havent got a clue at which distro is best to begin with. i already know knoppix, but iw ant a real hdd install linux. raed a bout slackware , but you need to have a floppy drive from which you can boot (for some mysterious reason i cant boot from floppy). also reda about the major distors like suse,mandrake,redhat, but from what i understand you need to downlaod 3 iso :S. i hope you guys can point me to a good distro to start my linux adventrue with :)

2. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

i like knoppix :p :cool:

3. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

me 2, but i want a real hdd install linux. knoppix is just a boot-cd linux and you cant really install new apps or save your settings easy. hate the stupid settings floppy thing :p

4. Henyman

lol fair enough.....i'm not sure which would be better.....
    mandrake/red hat?

5. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

6. Henyman

all 3 i belive :D

7. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

8. Henyman

lol

*goes 2 read*

9. thebear

thebear d(-.-)b

you shoulda gone with RedHat or SuSE...they are the best installs for newbies...

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

first off..
    You dont need a floppy to boot slackware
    You dont need 3 cd's to install ANY linux.

Your best bet is going to be redhat or mandrake, both of which you only need the first cd to actually get it installed and get to a desktop environment. cd's 2 and 3 are usually source packages and developer tools, there may be some packages you need on there, but they are never 100% essential to get a working linux system.

11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Alot of people seem to want me to switch over to Debian, so I'll suggest that. :)

12. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

i downloaded mandrake so im gonna try that first, but i cant do anything with it cause of my problem with my partitions as posted in my other thread. I hope someone can fix it, cause else i cant test linux :(
    something is messed up in my partition tabel cause fdisk reads my 2nd partition as 5gb and its 69gb really. but i cant format cause theres to much data one it :( so i hope this can be fized without format or fdisk....