Heat Sink???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NightHawk_450, Jul 18, 2002.

1. NightHawk_450

NightHawk_450 OSNN Addict

I can't get my damn heatsink off my cpu.....I just bought a new one....Does anyone know what is the proper tool to do it with??? All I am using is a screw driver without a bit....I can put it on ok (Liek I did 2 months ago) But I can't take it off.....could someone help :(

2. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

you have used 1kg thermal solution ??

3. Grinder714

Grinder714 Guest

It would help if we knew what HSF it was....

4. NightHawk_450

5. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Is it the clip that holds the Heat Sink or the Heat Sink itself that is stuck on the CPU?

Some of the standard clips on the OEM Heat Sinks and some After Market ones as well are a pain to remove. Be careful not to damage the CPU.

You may need a tool that looks like a Screw Driver but the tip (about an inch of it) has a right angle bend to it so you can hook it under the locking portion of the clip (Side edge of the CPU Socket).

If you have an old Ice Pick handy, carefully bend the tip to a right angle (about an inch to an inch and a half [1"-1 1/2"]). Don't break it. While you are squeezing the clips on the Heat sink use the tool you have engineered :rolleyes: on the lower edges of the clips to pop them off.

Good Luck. :D

[​IMG]

6. NightHawk_450

The clip holds the hsf to the CPU....I press down and try to bring it up, but it doesnt'.....I find that if I were to push anyharder I would crack the board......I guess I should just take it to a tech, and let him break it

7. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

use a flat head screw driver
    pus the clip down with ur finger
    and pull the clip away from the socket with the screw driver

8. Grinder714

Grinder714 Guest

Yes Use a flat head screwdriver push down and away from cpu.

9. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

IT WORKS
    i jus did it
    5 mins ago
    HEHEHE

10. NightHawk_450

yup!!!! I am going to try it now!!! thanks!!!!! I will remeber to watch out for the board!!!! later

11. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

tell us how it goes

12. NightHawk_450

Worked excellent!!! Thanks guys!!! I think I am going to get some Silver compound, and see if that makes a diff......system is now at 45 degrees!!! yeah.......10 degrees lower then it was............But now I have a heatsink and fan just sitting here............Any suggestions to what you would do with it???? A good play to put it (if any) Or a good place to use the fan!!!! Thanks guys/gals!!!!!!!!!

13. Grinder714

Grinder714 Guest

Use it as A intake or exhaust in your case.....SHould help with airflow.