HDD temp

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sboulema, May 11, 2003.

1. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

doesnt this mean that my HDD is turned into a smoking pile of ash :confused: :huh:

2. mikill

mikill _

as hot as its reading, the rest of the pc should be melting LOL. maybe you could touch it while its on and see from a skin point of view. im sure that is incorrect.

i have the side of my case off and can see everything and once in a while touch mine near the power plug to see how hot is when i've had it running for long periods of time. its a maxtor and it can get pretty hot. is that HDD a maxtor by chance? if so, im sure its hot, but that number in the pic is astronomically high.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

that's an ibm 120gxp.

you could try a different program. i like the "2506 minuties", though. :D

4. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

its an ibm 80 gig and i already touch it and i still have all my fingers :p it was a bit hot, but not that hot ;) i think this program is full of bul****t...

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

when it comes to detecting the drive's temperature sensor, obviously. it's probably because it doesn't even have one.

6. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

SpeedFan would be an alternative program .. I use it and to be at he topic subject my hdd reached almost 50 degrees C ... :confused: ( it's normal ? ) - hot temperatures round here in this period ..

7. mikill

mikill _

probably like mine. lol

btw, what prog is it?

8. ToronadoXP

ToronadoXP Blade Runner

actually the 120GXP 80gig has one (I have 2 of them) but its just reading it wrong. Best bet is go to http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm and download Feature Tool. This is the company that handles the IBM Drives now. Feature Tool can enable certain things but it has a built in Temp Sensor Reader. I cant remember the temp of mine buts its pretty cool. My system runs cool anyway at 75 degrees farenheit system and 77 degree's farenheit processor. If u ever do a format use the Drive Fitness Test as a low level format utility ;)

9. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

I think if it were that hot everything in the immediate area would be instantly vaporized :D

also what program are you using to show you that info?

10. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Feels more like the "immediate" hemi-sphere of the Earth... ;)

What's a "minutie" (minuty?) btw? And in hours? :confused: :D

11. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

:D yeah, silly.