HDD not seen by fdisk

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by blinden, Mar 7, 2004.

1. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

My main HDD can't be seen by fdisk. Windows boots off it, it's seen in the bios, however, when I use Partition magic, it reads the disk as "bad", so I figured, ohh well, Ill just wipe the whole drive and reparition it, but I couldn't even do that, when XP CD boots, it says "There is no disk in this drive" but it reads the capacity as 60 Gigs. I dunno what to do.

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Find or make a manufacturers boot floppy for your HD. WD you can download the files to make the floppy if you bought an OEM that came without one. I don't know about Maxtor or (yuk) Seagate.

Run the diagnostics. If the diag says the hard drive is fine try a Track 0 repair. I've had Windows do funky things to Track 0 when using a "Bootable HD" in IDE 1.

If that doesn't work I'm stumped.

3. Aussie983

Aussie983 ßµ®ηiή Şiliςδη

r u using a SCSI or SATA HDD that you need to load special drivers for? Windows Installer promts you to press F6 i think to install 3rd party SCSI/RAID drivers...which i have to do for my intel sata interface. the installer won't work without doing that

4. blinden

blinden OSNN Senior Addict

nono, it's a typical ata maxtor 30 gig HDD, I've downloaded powermax, but I have to locate a floppy drive now to put in the machine....

It's totally weird to me that the computer works fine, but the drive can't be seen