HDD Issue in XP

S

skewedview

Have been having problems with Win XP Home where if I performed a right mouse click on an icon to reach the menu I would have XP freeze up and need to be re-booted. Having reached the end of my rope I copied all my data to my 2nd HDD as a back up location and reformated my primary HD and reinstalled XP.

Now XP fails to show my 2nd with I drive letter. When I go to the Disk Manager it will show that I have a 2nd HDD attached to the computer and that it is healthy but will not allow me to give it a drive letter or access it.

I have reformatted in the past and never had this occur. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

skewedview

is the second drive NTFS? Did you install XP with NTFS again?

SnookBooger

Thanks tried that as well. No Luck....

I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of PM8 to try and see if that helps any thoughts on that?

skewedview

Not that I recall. Is this something I would have indicated for XP to do during the format of my primary drive?

The second drive had been in place and running fine prior to this latest format of the primary drive. So I have not made any changes to my 2nd HDD.

in disk managment, when you right click on the healthy volume, does it have the reactivate volume option ?

Thanks All for jumping in with your questions to help me out.

I ran PM8 and found out that the 2nd drive was listed as a type 44 format. This is a result of having had GoBack running on the main drive. Going into the MBR fixed that. GoBack may not be going back. Again thanks

skewedview

We had the same problem except with XP Professional. All we did was move and tighten the wires going into the hard drive, boot-up to the BIOS window and put the drives in order.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back