Smokin & Jokin
lo,

During Operations such as virus scans....my D: which is on a RAID
Array suddenly dies :(

It then becomes unusable, an error message pops up saying
something about a write failure and I have to restart in order
to access the drive.

On rare occasions...this happens whilst in game and when windows
reboots, it says windows has recovered from a serious error.

What the feck is going on?

Somebody help PLEASE! :mad:

your drive is failing...... you just said that. try to back up whatever u can then get ahold of the manufacture of the drive and see if u can get it replaced (if its still under warrenty)

OK I admit to having psu issues on my mind, having just read the whole "Infinite Loop" thread over on the VIA Arena board, but could this be a lack of power to your hdd? Sounds like it's happening at times with a power crunch (games, virus checks, etc), and somethings gotta give if there's not enough power to run everything. One recurring issue in the VIA thread was involving the (high) power consumption of RAID's. In the interest of troubleshooting:

1) Run whatever hd diagnostics you can get your hands on. If it's broke get a new one.

2) Try backing off your ide's (take out a hd, cd, or two) and running the hd on ide 0 or 1. Still problems? Another test, switch out another hd from an ide channel to the raid, and put the problem child on the ide. Which one fails?

3) Take a good hard look at the amount of power you are supplying vs. the amount of power you are requiring.

Kind of amazing that we think we can plug in infinite numbers of power hungry toys and expect them to work, and then blame the toys when they don't get enough power to perform.

Now you don't give any specs (what's up w dat?), so I'm making some assumptions about your setup. If I've made wrong assumptions.....nevermind.

kip

i had the same problem with my raid system ...i think it was because one of the drives was a lower rpm speed so i just changed the array to jbod since my card does both and it hasnt messed up since.

So it may be my power supply.....
Heres my spec, hopefully its my power and not the HDD.

1.2 AMD Thunderbird
512 DDR 2100
Asus A7V8X / RAID
Nvidia TNT2 32mb
Quantum Fireball 20gb 7200rpm 2mb cache
Maxtor Fireball 60gb 7200rpm 2mb cache (On RAID)
8x8x32 CD-Writer (internal)
16x48 DVD-ROM (internal)
ATAPI 250mb Zip Drive
Alps 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive
Zoom V.92 56k Dial-up Modem
300w Jeantech Power Unit

It could be your power supply. But I think its more than likely something to do with your raid. Make sure raid is disabled if your just using those Ide's for normal use. I dont know about your asus board, but I need to use a special driver for hdds on my raid ports if Im not using raid. Maybe you just need a driver. Try freeing up an ide and adding your d: to it. If the problem goes away, its a driver.

Save your data. Try a low level format on the drive. Get ready to replace it, sounds like its goin downhill. (As mentioned earlier)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back