hd

jayder

OSNN Junior Addict
I'm trying to install a new hd but i can't because one ide ribbon is hooked to my cdrw and the dvd-ROM.an the other is hooked to my hd and my dvdrw and the third on is hooked straight to the floppy.and all the ribbons are token up.how can i hook the new hd up

jay

Not possible is it? Why didnt you think of this before buying a new HD? Or, if your mobo supports it, could you not have got SATA?

Dont think you can have more than 2 'things' on any one IDE. Am i right....am i?

i think mobo's support up to 4 ide but since you have a DVD rom and a DVD rw then you dont need the DVD ROM disconnect it and replace it with the DVD-RW and there you got space

Teddy, You're right!.

You have a Primary and a Secondary IDE channel with a maximum of 2 devices per channel.

Saying that, I had a M/B once that had a primary & a secondary IDE channel, but then it also had an IDE Raid giving you another primary and secondary channel.

jayder, if your motherboard has SATA, see if you can change your HD. If this isn't possible look into buying an IDE controller card. This would give you another primary/secondary set of channels. I've seen these starting at less than £10.

i have a ide card .i just hook that into thr pci slot and hook the hd up do i have to put a os on it

which side of the controller card should i hook the hd to the blue or the white

Set the back of the drive as a slave. The blue should pick it up........it not then white. :D

when i opened it the jumper was on the right far end and i moved it to the left end where the ribbon go in is the the slave

It depends on what drive you have. The jumper settings for master and alave should be printed on the drive.

And if you have it on its own channel anyway on the new IDE card, you might as well set it as master. It doesn't really matter.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back