HD swap

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by McGuyver, Apr 3, 2003.

1. McGuyver

McGuyver Guest

I'm going to swap HD's from 17G to 80G. Is there some way to transfer the files and make the new drive the C:? TIA
  2. dubstar

dubstar format c:

Southern California
    here ya go buddy link
  3. Indomidable

Indomidable Guest

If you have win XP

you can use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard found in Accessories -> System Tools

That link is for DOS.

And in DOS 6.0 they added a command where you could type format D: /Autotest/s and it would automaticaly make the d: drive bootable.
    I've never used the Wizard but I bet it does it all. If you want more info especially if your using a diffrent O/S then just write me!
  4. scriptasylum

scriptasylum Moderator

Des Moines,IA
    You could image your current drive and then restore the image to the new drive (just be sure to select the option that expands the target partition unless you want a 17GB partition on your new drive).

Either DriveImage or Ghost will do the job well, although I use DriveImage personally (a little easier with the GUI).

Personally, I think this is a good opportunity/excuse for a fresh OS installation. Once your OS is loaded, you can set your old drive as a Slave and copy the files you want to the new drive.