hd radio anyone?

I used HD Radio in Houston for a short period of time (roughly 1 month). The sound quality on the main stations is exceptionally good (roughly on par with CD Quality Audio). I was not able to pick out any compression or data loss in any of the songs I listened to like I normally can with FM. Seperation was clear and the highs and lows did not sound flat or distorted. I am hoping to get HD Radio again in my next car simply because of the sound quality compared to FM.

The signal is digital, and the slightest interruption will cause you to lose all audio for a few seconds. This can become annoying if you are in an area where there is a lot of interference. I did not find this to be much of a problem driving around in the city though. I think this will really depend on where you live. You might notice a slight delay while changing stations compared to standard FM/AM radio, possibly up to 1 or 2 seconds.

Most HD stations will have substations that provide additional music or news. I found the sound quality on these substations to be extremely poor across the board (on par with XM Radio quality). These would be best suited for Talk, but not music IMO.

I used HD Radio in Houston for a short period of time (roughly 1 month). The sound quality on the main stations is exceptionally good (roughly on par with CD Quality Audio). I was not able to pick out any compression or data loss in any of the songs I listened to like I normally can with FM. Seperation was clear and the highs and lows did not sound flat or distorted. I am hoping to get HD Radio again in my next car simply because of the sound quality compared to FM.

The signal is digital, and the slightest interruption will cause you to lose all audio for a few seconds. This can become annoying if you are in an area where there is a lot of interference. I did not find this to be much of a problem driving around in the city though. I think this will really depend on where you live. You might notice a slight delay while changing stations compared to standard FM/AM radio, possibly up to 1 or 2 seconds.

Most HD stations will have substations that provide additional music or news. I found the sound quality on these substations to be extremely poor across the board (on par with XM Radio quality). These would be best suited for Talk, but not music IMO.
thanx luna

can you go from hd to analogue if you are in an area where the skipping is too anoying?

can you go from hd to analogue if you are in an area where the skipping is too anoying?
yes. and i believe some car decks can automatically fill in the gaps with analog radio or switch back and forth. i don't think it's totally transparent, though.

i would love to have HD radio in my car but it's taking forever for manufacturers to get this feature built-in to more of their models. i'm picky about looks and features and right now there just isn't a good enough selection. same with home theater receivers. HD radio's been around for years--what's taking them so long!

thanx luna

You can choose between the two (or should be able to based on your head unit). On mine the HD radio was a different mode vs AM/FM

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back