HD partition ?-how do i do this

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by rj2, May 18, 2003.

1. rj2

rj2 Guest

is it possible in xp,to place the program files & my docs,etc on a different partition-D than where the OS is-C.
    i would like to setup drive like so.its a 40 gig drive
    C-8gigs-windows
    D-12gigs-program files etc
    E-13gigs-games
    F-7gigs-mp3`s
    am i lookin for os troubles doing it this way.i plan on using my old 20gig for the paging file,and ghost images for backup
    thnx

2. frothymilkshake

frothymilkshake OSNN Addict

Yep it is possible. You might want to use partition magic program to help you get that done.

3. rj2

rj2 Guest

thnx for reply.is it also possible that when you are installing xp,i can change the program files & my docs to d drive,instead of the default C drive

4. Eck

Eck .user

I don't think that's possible. You can just install into that directory when you're done... and even change your "My Documents" folder with Tweak UI.

5. rj2

rj2 Guest

thnx for help

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

You can change the default install path to a different partition for your programs, but not when XP is installing. It makes things much easier so that you don't have to manually change your install path to "D:\Program Files\..." each time you install a new program. To do this, just make a simple registry change:

Open your registry and find this key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion]
    Change the value of "ProgramFilesDir" to the desired Program Files directory (D:\Program Files).
    Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

7. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

use pm8 to partition and tweak-xp or magictweak to change the documents folder

8. rj2

rj2 Guest

thnx for all the replies.i looked in the registry @ the key you suggest to change,it is not there!!weird