HD cooling

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sy64004, Nov 6, 2003.

1. sy64004

sy64004 OSNN Addict

Can anyone tell me anything about the Antec Hard Drive Cooling System IDE + SCSI Dual Fan? I'm sure I read somewhere that it shares power source with the HD?? I have no more power leads from my power supply so something like that would ideal.

Is this a good product or what are the alternatives??? Can extra power leads be fitted to the power supply or if I got a bigger power supply would there be More leads on it?

As you can see I'm a complete novice at this so any help would be much appreciated, thanks

2. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

well my first question would be: will your powersupply handle a harddriver cooler?

3. Vector_One

Vector_One Guest

I have 2 of those things. They do share the same power connector as the HD (it acts as a splitter), but obviously draw more power because of the 2 little fans. In fact, I'm about to put the 2 I have up on ebay. I only used them for about 3 weeks, but I have a new case now with a great front cooling fan, so I don't have any need for them anymore. I'll post the link here when I get put them up in case your interested.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

The HD cooler fans don't draw enough power to worry about overloading the power supply. If you were that close to the edge you were already screwed.

Most add on equipment comes with power lead splitters that tap inot the existing power supply connectors. If not get one when you get the cooler. Splitters a re a buck or two at most.

5. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

6. kitct

kitct Guest

I use the dual fan config on my hdd an it does keep it very cool and it does not use much power an it has a connector that shares w/the one that already goes to power the hdd.

Havent tried the fanless.

7. sy64004

sy64004 OSNN Addict

Thanks for the tips guys. More food for thought!!! :)