Having problems installing Office Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by kjrl, Nov 25, 2006.

1. kjrl

kjrl OSNN One Post Wonder

have a issue with Microsoft Office 2003 and SP2 upgrade which did not work.

Currently do have Windows Installer 3.1 Version 3.01.4000.2435 (and I have followed instructions and installed 3.1 Redistributable (v2)"

Tried then to run a Full file Office 2003 SP2 (which immediately told me, that it could not)

2. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Re: MS Office Service Pack 2 - NOT WORKING and Microsoft is not help

Have you tired updating it from the office update website? http://www.microsoft/com/office

More information of the error message(s) you get would help diagnose the problem, or screenshots? :)

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

What is the specific error you are receiving when applying the service pack? Is your copy of Office fully legit?

4. kjrl

As to Fully legit copy, yes, its a cpy from Midrosoft.... Professional Edition 2003..

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Please post the error or a screenshot of the error :)

6. kjrl

see the attached screen shots

I also have "Windows Installer 3.1 Version 3.01.4000.2435" Per Support.microsoft.com/kb/906323

Attached Files:

7. madmatt

A.) Navigate to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate and check for updates
    B.) If SP2 fails again, I would suggest uninstalling Office 2003 and reinstalling. Prior to using apply SP2 and then any other updates from the link above

8. kjrl

If I go to the Control panel, to uninstall Office 2003... it will not let me, see the attached view from the control panel for "adding / removing"

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Sounds like the installer you downloaded got corrupted. As above do the update live or download the installer again.

10. kjrl

which installer is best ??

3.01.4000.1830 included in SP!

or 3.01.4000.2435 same as above, but with a fix in it...

Also,

as in 906323

I have applied this...Download the Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2) package now. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C)

I just now at 11:23 CT, updated the windows Installer again... now at .2435 ...and just tired the SP2 full upgrade...and did not allow anything...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2006
  11. madmatt

12. kjrl

I am 100% current on all updates execpt MS office, as of right now... I have no critical...or optional updates of any kind to run...

13. madmatt

Reinstall Office 2003 Professional over your current installation. That will repair the installer packages that are now corrupt. Prior to running Office, install SP2 and any updates from Microsoft Update.

14. kjrl

that did not work

15. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

You will need to uninstall office manually and remove all the traces in the registry its a rough job to do and not easy to find al the strings needed to uninstall it properly , I have seen office so badly screwed up at one time and almost impossible to fix, try this

go back with system restore as far back as you can remember when office was ok and try from there.

16. madmatt

Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from Microsoft. That will remove it from the registry.

17. kjrl

Good evening

Tried to remove office 2003 - now, then ran Windows Installer Cleanup Utility...and tried to then Install office 2003... and now... I cannot load the office 2003 from the install disk..

My problem is Windows Installer - Does anyone know if I can

remove "Windows Installer" completely..and then REINSTALL that tool???

18. kjrl

Office Update is unable to check for updates
    The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer. This may be happening because of one of the following reasons:

You do not have administrative privileges for this computer.
    There is a network problem and the detection catalog used by the Office Update site failed to download. Go back to the Downloads home page and try running detection again.
    Windows Installer patch files (.MSP files) from previously applied Office updates are missing from the \Windows\Installer hidden directory on your computer. MSP files are stored on your computer after update installation completes because they need to be referenced for future update operations. If the files are missing you will not be able to apply Office updates. You may also be unable to uninstall Office products as a result of the same problem. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for assistance.
    You installed Office updates in the past and then upgraded from Windows Installer version 1.0 to Windows Installer version 1.1. For more information see the KB article Windows Installer May Prompt for Install Source if Unavailable.

Search for Office updates in the Download Catalog