Have $35,000 USD to Spare?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by kcnychief, Feb 19, 2006.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

2. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

holy crap, pretty cool but I would never buy that if I could.

3. kcnychief

I think it is more for libraries, places like that.

I wouldn't think a home-user would ever have a reason to :)

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

What a rip off. You can buy a 1000 hardcover or 5000 paperback books for $35,000.

You just cut the binding off (throw away the copyright page) and run the pages through a regular scanner. Then reprint it on the laserjet with prepunched spiral bound paper and snap on the binder ring. Or just run the pages through the copier without scanning.

Sigh, low cost, efficient copyright violation is a lost art. People have been doing it since the 1970's without a digital universe. Bah, kids! ;)

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

is this how they make ebooks? i always wondered how they make ebooks of the real books, that look digital not scanned.

6. kcnychief

Probably something similar, that would be a sucky job to feed that machine though :s

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

PIRACY!!! >_<

e-books are actual text, not scanned. That would be why they look "digital" :rolleyes:

8. Evil Marge

Evil Marge I Rule Political User

Tis true :laugh:

9. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

I want one :p

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

no i mean the ones that are exact copies and have diagrams pictures, etc

11. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Answer to your question: No.

12. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

I've seen some online, which are an exact web based copy of the actual book, which might have been in print, and is copyrighted from some year back in the 1950s-1980s or so... No mention can be made of piracy, when the website is owned by the same organization that published the books in the first place :D

But no, I wouldn't bother buying one of these, even if I could. What would I use it for? Besides, an actual book is a bit more portable then my desktop here. I can take the book anywhere, and easily read it in bed or wherever else. Can't say that with my 19" CRT ;)

13. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

That's how I got through University ;) Pleasant memories. heh.

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

umm what question?

15. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

:laugh:

That's how I had to get through Oracle DBA (database administration) 1... The materials which were provided by Oracle, were provided via a PDF file (or actually 2), with the college having a copy of written permission from Oracle to print up the course book for each student, so we could take it to Kinkos or wherever else...

However, I didn't feel like paying for this, so printed it up in the computer labs. Now granted, we were technically limited to 20 pages per day, but I'd sometimes get through this by printing 20 pages at one lab, and then walking to another lab on campus to get the next 20 pages, come back, or whatever. I got the whole thing printed before end of semester, and was able to keep ahead of the chapters we needed for class.

Did I feel guilty? No, and at UNM where I printed this, tuition had gone up to like $160 per credit hour, increases in parking, and even instution of fees to get the CRN number for a book we were looking up on Libros, so we could get it off the library shelves to borrow, and other ways they found to nickle and dime us... Also, of all the years I have gone to school there, I've seldom printed all that much, having nothing to print most days. It all balances out :D

16. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

The thread title.

17. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ahh ok i thought the post, i was like wheres the question mark?

18. Single White Guy

Single White Guy OSNN One Post Wonder

That would be cool if you were making an online database.

But why not just buy a database from someone.

I'll agree that a liberary could use it. I suppose if you were an online book seller, like amazon it would be pretty nice.

Now they have to make one that will scan and convert the pages to hypertext so it will create a massive website with thousands of pages.

19. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

I can think of much better investments for that 35K

20. pepe007

pepe007 OSNN One Post Wonder

lol nice