has cacheman bettered anyones PC performance?

H

helen

i can not tell if it bettered mine. i have 128 RAMM memory. 2.1 celeron processor. 512 page file minimum. 40 GB hard drive. CD-R.

does anyone think cacheman is good?

i have seen it mentioned a lot in the 'compiled great freeware programs' thread.

thanks

I tried it on my dad's laptop which has 98SE installed, and it didn't seem to affect performance in any way.
I think XP works great as it is, so I prefer to leave it alone. :)

if you're using the nt kernal, what cacheman does, is it takes memory that the os is putting to good use, it takes it out of this good use, so you can have a big number (an illusion) in available ram....xp allreadiyt has plenty of ram that it is using, ready and waiting for when you need it...chachman is not for the nt kernal

this will obviously slow you down

Yes I think Cachman improved the system up to Win 98, but the XP Management system has that area covered.

I didn't notice much of a change with or without the program. However, there were a few times when I used it to free up memory when my system was taxed and Windows wasn't releasing the RAM quick enough. I've got to agree with the others though... overall, XP handles memory well, so if you've got that OS, then there's not much use for Cacheman.

I ran chcheman (XPP) and noticed no change in performance.

Mubbers

many times we are slowed down and we don't know it.

for instance, suppose we are on a day of optimization as far as xp is concerned.

well, you wouldn't even know how much slower optimization is proceeding without the resources that cache man is "freeing up"...or the indexing service...freeing ram slows down the background processes that you don't realize are going on more so then the foreground processes.

this is the point.

I've used O&O CleverCache v.4 and it works quite well, however I'm not using at the moment. It seems XP system resouces jump all over the place. I've found running fewer programs will reduce the chances of memory usage going up and down like a roller coaster. Haven't used Cacheman. After running numerous enhancment system programs I would agree with the best bet is to let the XP system manage its own memory in the long run.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back