Hardware Icon on Task Bar Missing

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
Hi. I just noticed that the USB or Hardware icon on the lower right corner task bar is missing everytime connect my USB external Hard disk. How can I activate this again so that I can disable it from the system before I manually disconnect it? Thanks.

If the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon disappears from the notification area try:

Start
Run
CMD
RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

percy this article may apply to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321213/en-us

Icons in the Notification Area May Disappear If You Use High-Contrast Color Themes in Windows XP

View products that this article applies to.
function loadTOCNode(){}Article ID:321213Last Review:April 25, 2002Revision:1.0
This article was previously published under Q321213
SYMPTOMS

loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');If you are using the Windows Classic theme in Windows XP, the icons in the notification area on the right side of the taskbar may disappear when you select a High Contrast scheme in the Color Schemes box on the Appearance tab. Back to the top

RESOLUTION

loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');To work around this problem, right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click Lock the Taskbar. Or, change the size of the taskbar, and then restore it. Back to the top

STATUS

loadTOCNode(1, 'status');Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

loadTOCNode(1, 'moreinformation');For additional information about configuring desktop themes in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 307855 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307855/EN-US/) HOW TO: Configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP
For additional information about moving or resizing the taskbar in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 279774 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279774/EN-US/) Cannot Move or Resize the Taskbar or Any Toolbars on the Taskbar
Back to the top

HHMMMMmmmmm... intriguing.... this thread could potentially be useful in an unexpected way.

I have read a number of threads and posts around where folks wish to REMOVE this exact icon in the exact situation you describe! Have you any idea how you achieved this "lost icon"? And post back if you got it back I guess too...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back