Hardware Icon on Task Bar Missing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by percy, Aug 15, 2006.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

Hi. I just noticed that the USB or Hardware icon on the lower right corner task bar is missing everytime connect my USB external Hard disk. How can I activate this again so that I can disable it from the system before I manually disconnect it? Thanks.

2. ameilius

ameilius OSNN Addict

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

If the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon disappears from the notification area try:

Start
    Run
    CMD
    RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll

4. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

percy this article may apply to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321213/en-us

Icons in the Notification Area May Disappear If You Use High-Contrast Color Themes in Windows XP

View products that this article applies to.
    function loadTOCNode(){}Article ID:321213Last Review:April 25, 2002Revision:1.0
    This article was previously published under Q321213
    SYMPTOMS

loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');If you are using the Windows Classic theme in Windows XP, the icons in the notification area on the right side of the taskbar may disappear when you select a High Contrast scheme in the Color Schemes box on the Appearance tab. [​IMG]Back to the top

RESOLUTION

loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');To work around this problem, right-click a blank area of the taskbar, and then click Lock the Taskbar. Or, change the size of the taskbar, and then restore it. [​IMG]Back to the top

STATUS

loadTOCNode(1, 'status');Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. [​IMG]Back to the top

MORE INFORMATION

loadTOCNode(1, 'moreinformation');For additional information about configuring desktop themes in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 307855 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307855/EN-US/) HOW TO: Configure Desktop Themes in Windows XP
    For additional information about moving or resizing the taskbar in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 279774 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279774/EN-US/) Cannot Move or Resize the Taskbar or Any Toolbars on the Taskbar
    [​IMG]Back to the top

5. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

HHMMMMmmmmm... intriguing.... this thread could potentially be useful in an unexpected way.

I have read a number of threads and posts around where folks wish to REMOVE this exact icon in the exact situation you describe! Have you any idea how you achieved this "lost icon"? And post back if you got it back I guess too...