hardware failure detector

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ElementalDragon, Jun 2, 2005.

1. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

kinda seemed like the correct topic to put it under.

Anyone know of an app that can tell me if a piece of hardware has been slightly damaged or if it is not working to it's full potential (which would probably kinda be the same thing)? For some reason, after the few overheats i had due to paint particles in my case, now most of the games i play seem..... well...... choppy, when they never were before. even WoW is choppy at some points, and that's not an extremely heavily graphically intense game.

2. ElementalDragon

anybody know of something? it'd really help me out a LOT..... then i'd know if it's hardware issues or software.

3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

run a benchmark and see where you place.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

And if the benchmark completes and the numbers look ok then download sisoft sandra and run burn in on your various hardware one peice at a time and see if anything starts getting degraded or crashes.

You can do the same by running the video benchmark multiple times to drive temperatures up but it won't tell you which peice is crapping out.

5. ElementalDragon

....oh yeah..... i think my CPU kinda kicked it. ran the CPU Arithmetic benchmark thing in Sandra 2005........ my P4 2.4C that i currently have overclocked to 3.0 has lower numbers than a standard P4 2.4B, and is showing that it's performing at about half of what a standard P4 3.0C performs at. so yeah...... think i'ma need a new one.

6. ElementalDragon

just as some visual backup...... yeah...... it's kinda slightly toasted.

1st result = my processor
    2nd = about where it's performing
    3rd = what it should at LEAST be, especially cause of the fact that the P4 2.4B is the one with the 533 fsb, mine is the 800 fsb
    4th = where i'd assume it should actually be since mine is a 2.4C that i oc'd to 3.0..... and the 4th one is a 3.0C
    5th = not really important in this example.

Attached Files:

7. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Looks likw its time to get an AMD :)

8. ElementalDragon

eeh...... i probably would...... but that'd more than likely wind up being more money than just buying a new, faster processor. that and the fact that if i did go AMD, i'd probably get a nice A64.... but then i'd also want PCI-Express..... which would lead to me needing a new video card too....... just too complicated. i don't even know if i'll be able to get a new processor yet.