Hard Drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vanquished, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Hi!
    I was wondering if any of you viewers happened to have a raptop drive or any drive that goes at 10,000 rpms or faster.
    My dilemna is that it is only 76 GBs at max for 160 dollars or 36 for 100 dollars. So if anyone has a drive like that please tell me if its worth it, really for games loading and booting.
    Oh yeah, this is a general Hard Drive Thread as well, talk away!
    -Jack

2. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

While i dont have one, i would say it will shorted boot times and game loading times. My 2 cents.

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Raptors come in at 150GB now too!

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

oh and they are worth having :D

5. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

6. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Hmm i dont think ill be wasting 300 dollars on the 150 gb drive, i already have enough space. Id go for the 36.7 gb one, all i want to put on it are windows and counterstrike source.
    - Jack
    P.S.
    Both of you really do like them?

7. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

The 10k drives are fast, but the 36 gig drive variant is slower than the 74 gig one. I highly recommend going with the 74 gig, it doesnt cost a whole lot more. Or you could buy 2 36gb raptors and raid 0 them.. that would be pretty quick.

8. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

I would not reccomend raid 0. if you lose a driver you are out of luck. Plus the drivers are expensive just for one, let alone 2.

9. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

That is a risk sure, but the Raptors are server level hard-drives and are extremely reliable. I dont think its a real risk with these high quality drives.

I know quite a few people who have raptors, myself included and not a single one has ever had problems with them. I am pretty sure they have a stellar track record.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144200

Roughly $210 for 72GB of ultra high speed storage, thats not to shabby.

10. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

I know what your getting at Celticfan but I have to agree with Aprox..

THe raptors are one of the fastest and most reliable drives out there.. albeit not alot of storage as compared to many others, but man, some goood performance, AND... if you are a smart person you do your defrags, virus checks, and then back everything up every few days... if you lose a driver or corrupt the RAID, you just re-image the RAID with the last good back-up

11. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I've considered it, but for my own personal use, I thought the cost would be too high - not just financial, but also noise.

12. mlakrid

Noise?

HA... my 10000 RPM raptors are much quieter than just about any other harddrive I have had (to include my old 7200 or 5400 rpm ones) ... I dont know it is because they are always spinning, and I dont hear it, but they are quieter...

I LOVE mine...

13. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I don't know how noisey they are now, but when I first compared IBM drives to WD and all the rest, I found that IBM drives were the quietest of the lot.
    I'd like to get two 36GB raptors for RAID though. :)

14. mlakrid

My main hard drives were IBM deskstars

and they are much noisier than my Raptors just FYI...

:D

15. mlakrid

As for this post.... I would go with the 74GB version they are slightly faster and offer double the capactiy for only slightly less...

OR go for dual 150GB drives for $300 a pop...

Hehe
    :eek:

16. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

whoa! :eek:
    Oh, must be the higher capacity ones.. hehe
    I've been using the 80GB drives.

17. mlakrid

Yup I had a 100 GB deskstar and a 120 deskstar both very noisy

18. David_L6

David_L6 OSNN Addict

I've had a couple of the 74GB Raptors and now have a couple of the Dell branded WD 80GB Raptors. All were/are noisier than any 7200 rpm hard drives I've had, but I sure do like the speed. I have two computers at home now, one with a 7200 rpm ??? (don't remember) and one with two of the 80 GB Raptors in RAID 0. The difference in the amount of time they take to boot or shut down is amazing.

Check the coupon code sites and you can sometimes get one of these drives for ~$140. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=341-2239&c=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=6211&first=true&mnf=694&k=&page=productlisting.aspx

Attached Files:

19. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

He would say that! Lord also says Tagan PSUs are the ONLY ones worth having and Dell 21" TFT (or better) also.... my budget tends to be set a lot different from his

Having said that I am living with a dying 120GB Maxtor in my old XP3000+ box and it is getting painful, I have to press F1 every bootup now and I really should consider something like this maybe for a replacement to give that machine a jump start speed wise. If I can get my drive to backup so that I can order replacement and populate with existing data I shall post here how I find it....