Hard Drives & RAID

o i c im not to shur how to set up a raid 0 configuration but i thik i will be able to figure it out i only got one more question is that do you think the dell xps system has the controller need for setting up a raid 0 config. all i know is that when i open the computer up ther is a wire that connects to hard drive 1 and a nother port on theat wire for a another hard drive thats marked hard drive 2 and there is also a port wire for the hard drive to have poweri have the other hard drive in my computer and it works but i need it set for raid 0 configuration.......does that mean that i have to take windows off my computer-thanks cujo

Dude, it's really hard to read what you're writing. P L E A S E use punctuation.

But this is what I could decipher and find:

1. Some Dell XPS machines support RAID. I don't know if yours does.
2. If you want to have Windows on the RAID array, you'll need to remove and install it again, yes.
3. Don't RAID the 40 GB drive with the 120 GB drive. It's just not clever.

Sorry about the writing but i was kinda in a hurrry. But ok im not shur if i want to set up raid on my 120 but ill think about it, right now i got the money to buy that westerndigital 74gb with 10000 rpm and i am seriously thinking about it thanks. cujo:confused:

again im not very good with computers but on my mobo there is a strip wire that runs to the hard drive and on that wire is marked hdd1 and a little ways up is another port marked hdd2/zip (not in use) and there is also a power cord marked hdd2(not in use) and for some weired reason there is also a cord marked hdd3(also not in use):rolleyes:

RUMANDCUJO said:
again im not very good with computers but on my mobo there is a strip wire that runs to the hard drive and on that wire is marked hdd1 and a little ways up is another port marked hdd2/zip (not in use) and there is also a power cord marked hdd2(not in use) and for some weired reason there is also a cord marked hdd3(also not in use):rolleyes:

My advice would be if you don't know ribbon cables and master slaves and haven't learned it by now and/or by reading other posts here would be to take it in somewhere or to someone for them to actually show you how it works.

I know for myself, trying to explain these things over the phone is bad enough. Email/message board explainations can make you even more confused. Go find someone who can explain it to you as you both are in front of the physical machine and save yourself the heartache of doing something stupid and regretting it later.

--fitz

RUMANDCUJO said:
Since there are only two ports my guess is that your computer does not support RAID. But I could be wrong as this is a brand computer. :)

And fitz is right, try and find someone near you that can help you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back