Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sage, May 18, 2002.

1. Sage

Sage Guest

I just bought a maxtor 60gig drive (6L060J3) and used Microsoft's Disk Management to format and partition the drive - I used NTFS, and Dynamic - my question is why dose the drive only show up as 55.91 gigs?

2. xsk8zerox

xsk8zerox Moderator

Im almost positive.. but i could be wrong.. that that missing space is for the file system structure

3. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Ypu ya gotta remember when ya format the drive..you lose space...like my 40 gig drive, when fully formatted is only 37.2 gig..some guy actually wanted to introduce a a naming scheme where if the box was labeled 80gig that mean that was the size after fully formatted...but he got shot down by the companies heh

4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Kinda like a Hamburger at some fastfood places. "1/4 pound after it is cooked." :D

5. Sage

Sage Guest

Thxs guys

Thats what i thought - but just wanted to verify. It's a piss off when space is displayed that way. Its too bad that it wouldn't just show the space that the drive is sold by, ie 60 gig. - isn't marketing lovely.

Thxs again for the info.

6. john30uk

john30uk Guest

It has something to do with the difference between BINARY and DECIMAL where people normally say 1000bytes is 1 mb where its actually 1024bytes is 1 mb so i think it actually counts these in 1000's so it appears your harddrive is smaller than its actual size.
    I also have a 60gb Maxtor harddrive and windows detects it at around 55gb or so,but some of my other software detects it at correct size of 60.5gb .