Hard Drive Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gmagnuson, May 6, 2003.

1. gmagnuson

gmagnuson Guest

Hey All, I need some major help:
    I went to install a new motherboard and processor---Motherboard Processor is a P4 2.4 GHz.

I installed it all and my computer starts up fine, but when it is almost ready to load windows, it comes up with this error:

Check for viruses on computer. Remove any new installed Harddrives or any Hard Drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for Hard Drive corruption then restart your computer.

Technical info......

What Do I do now?
    I tried to check all of my settings. The Hard drive was working fine before all of this happened. I would appreciate any help, and I reallllllllllllllly do not want to lose my info on the hard drive. I currently have a Networking card, Modem card, Sound card, and an AGP Video card installed.

2. ste_w

ste_w Moderator

i had kind of the same prob, a quick blue screen before windows loads and shuts down, its best to reformat when somethiing as major as a mobo an processor hav been fitted.

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

changing the chipset = blue screen, if its xp pro run the 2nd repair option as you follow the install from the xp cd, then all will be ok. if its xp home, you got to reinstall windows, just dont format 1st and you will save the data.

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

you should take note as well ;) a formats ok if you managed to backup 1st, this gives a chance at least of not losing all important downloads.

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Where do you see a difference between Home and Pro edition regarding to this?

6. PeterGee1

PeterGee1 Guest

Just for the sake of it: here's how to change mobo and proc without needing a reinstall.

(taken from the very excellent ArsTechnica forums)

Peter