hard-drive partitions?

DarkMaster

OSNN Addict
how can i add a partition to my harddrive, without spending money on software or hardware? i dont think i hav to explain why i want a partition, but feel free to ask.

If it's an unallocated portion of your disk go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. If you are unsure what to do when you get there, the help function is fairly comprehensive.

This may be slightly off topic - but I need to ask these questions:

Is "free space" different from "free" space? :confused:

Okay let me ask this in a different way - Is "free space" different from allocated space?

I understand (I think) that if a drive has free space you can make another partition in disk management.

However if a drive has "free" space which has been allocatad - ya gotta use Partition Magic or something similiar???

In other words, lets say I have an 80 GB hdd and I have 2 partitions - one of 5GB for the "hidden recovery" and another partition (C) of 75 GB (give or take). Of this 75 GB I have 58 GB "free". But I can still not make another partition using disk management because that space has been allocted.

Right?

As far as I know, Disk Management will only work on unallocated (unformatted) space.

thanx allan - so in my case (without reformatting) Partition Magic is the only choice I have!

From what I can remember, the eval of Partition Magic lets you go through the motions of setting up partions/resizing/renaming etc but when you hit Apply it says Sorry, Evaluation copy only. However, the full app does rock. I fully recommend getting it.

Theres a good trial version of Partition Magic floating around Kazza at the moment
;)

Since you have an OS installed, it is really not smart to mess with your OS partition. If you want to make other partitions, the first thing you need to do is start fresh. Throw all your important stuff on a cd and start over. There are ways to partition your computer with the installer that windows uses. If you are using linux you can do it with a popular dist of that too. Maybe mandrake. Once you have it all formatted, start up a new install and you will eventually get to a screen that asks you which partition you want windows on. There should be some partitioning options provided at that point (this is true at least for 2k and XP). This way you don't have to buy any new software and you can get a nice clean new install of windows (which always makes things a little more pleasant).
If this is too much work. --[Forum Rules No Talk Of Piracy And Or Posting Of Links]--

All Forum Rules are found at the top right of all thread pages. I suggest you read them.
Edited for content by [P§eüðøKe®]

Forum Guidelines

Do a search for a freeware program called 'partition manager'. Let us know if you need a link.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back