Hard Drive Interfaces

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Unreal, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Unreal

Unreal Guest

Hey,

My question is, does the interface on a hard drive matter with the compatability with the mainboard?

The mainboard Im looking at says this : UltraDMA/100 IDE Channels Master and the hard drive says : 1 x DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) Fast Drives - 40 PIN IDC

I am really not sure about this, Im looking at the Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 series between 120Gb and 160Gb. If they are not compatable which hard drives would be recommended instead?

Thanks in advanced.

2. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

you shouldn't have a problem w/ the DMA 133 drive it will just run at DMA 100 as thats all your mobo can handle ;) hard drives are backwards compatible so far.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Hard drives and motherboards are backward-compatible. They'll just run at the speed of the slower component.

[EDIT-- Xie is faster! :D]

4. Unreal

Unreal Guest

Ahhh, thanks for the replies, I just wonder as I found good prices for the Maxtors, 160Gb for £100 from dabs.com.

5. koko

koko Got Root?

just a suggestion, but maxtor drives don't have the greatest reputation right now.

i'd highly recommend western digital. they have some great prices at http://www.pricewatch.com/

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Just make sure your mobo can handle drives bigger than 137 GB in size. Mine didn't, so I had to put the drive on the RAID controller (no biggie in my case, but if you don't have any RAID connectors...).