Hard Drive fixing prog

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ohzopants, May 16, 2005.

1. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

One of my hard drives is acting up and I'm not sure what the problem is with it. So I'm looking for a good disk utility (for scanning for errors and defragging), any advice guys?

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

if you are using xp then chkdsk is the only tool available to check for errors type chkdsk /? in the command prompt and see what you need..

PerfectDisk is the best defrag utility for 32bit windows. Can be found at http://www.raxco.com

3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

agree, Perfectdisk is the best. I just wish I could it to work on my PE ..

4. ashius

ashius OSNN One Post Wonder

Every HDD maker has a testing tool avil for it. Find out what brand it is and head to they website. If your not sure get Seagates 'Seatools', that will do a basic test on any drive and will give you the model of the drive for you to look up.

You could also get The Ultimate Boot CD www.ultimatebootcd.com it has all the testing on one cd you boot off.

Hope that helps

5. Ohzopants

Ohzopants My mom thinks I'm cool

thnaks ashius.... but:
    "Note: PowerMax v 4.21 will not detect ATA or SATA hard disks connected to embedded or add in RAID controllers, NVIDIA Force 3, Force 4, VIA KT 600 and KT800 chipsets."
    and I have a kt800 controller.

chkdsk it is i guess

6. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I asked almost the same question before but never got an answer. Something that would check disks like Norton DiskDoctor, chkdsk, or Scandisk. It is surprising that there aren't very many 3rd party disk checkers, but there are tons of defragging programs out there.

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

It's because alot of people have an a theory what way is the best to defrag. There is only one way to mark a bad sector. :p

8. 1badtech

1badtech OSNN Junior Addict