Hard Drive coating

Eiji

OSNN Addict
What is the black coating on the sides of the hard drive casing?

I had a old dead drive and was able to scrape off the black coating quite easily which revealed metal/aluminium underneath.

Any purpose to this coating and what sort of coating is it?

Black paint? Too make it look... umm... black? That's all I've seen anyway. What brand/model was it?

I know what he means - they are sometimes "sheathed" in a thin layer of high density foam, I think that is what is being referred to and maybe it is the older Maxtors (or is that Seagates?) that are particularly fond of this approach. WHY? - two answers:-

1. Foam is good at soaking up noise, to make drives very slightly less noisy.
2. Foam has vibration damping properties (to help protect your valuable data!)

There may also be some sort of aesthetis angle - to make it look a little more tidy.... And there is ONE downside - acts as an insulator keeping heat in...

there you go - I deserve a rep for typing that in on dial up! Even my keyboard lags! :p

I must say I've never seen foamed drives. It must be really old. Or just very uncommon.

I've seen it on Seagates every now and then. Like MFG said, it's not really for anything other than sound dampening which doesn't really work anyway.

The black paint is to stop oxide from forming on the aluminium casing. I don't think it has to be black as some have clear coatings while others have none.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back