Hard Drive coating

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eiji, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

What is the black coating on the sides of the hard drive casing?

I had a old dead drive and was able to scrape off the black coating quite easily which revealed metal/aluminium underneath.

Any purpose to this coating and what sort of coating is it?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Black paint? Too make it look... umm... black? That's all I've seen anyway. What brand/model was it?

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I know what he means - they are sometimes "sheathed" in a thin layer of high density foam, I think that is what is being referred to and maybe it is the older Maxtors (or is that Seagates?) that are particularly fond of this approach. WHY? - two answers:-

1. Foam is good at soaking up noise, to make drives very slightly less noisy.
    2. Foam has vibration damping properties (to help protect your valuable data!)

There may also be some sort of aesthetis angle - to make it look a little more tidy.... And there is ONE downside - acts as an insulator keeping heat in...

there you go - I deserve a rep for typing that in on dial up! Even my keyboard lags! :p

4. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I must say I've never seen foamed drives. It must be really old. Or just very uncommon.

5. Weasel

Weasel Define 'Cynical'

I've seen it on Seagates every now and then. Like MFG said, it's not really for anything other than sound dampening which doesn't really work anyway.

6. RickyC

RickyC OSNN Addict

The black paint is to stop oxide from forming on the aluminium casing. I don't think it has to be black as some have clear coatings while others have none.