Hard Disk Speed

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by champ2005, Mar 29, 2005.

1. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

I'm looking into a new hdd for my laptop (the 40gb 4200rpm is pretty hopeless). Generally, would a higher capacity hdd be faster than a lower capacity hdd of the same rpm-age (if thats a word :) )? So if i got a 100gb 4.2k hdd, would it be any faster than my current one?

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

no.
    Rotational speed is generally the primary deciding faster in data retrieval rates.

you watn 7200-10,000 RMP for the best retrieval rates. Not sure what laptsops go to but I know you can get 5400 RPM which should see a ncie ncrease over 4200. However te faster it goes the hotter it gets and the more juice it uses... bear that in mind :D

3. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

yeah, an 80gb 5.4 is probably the best - relatively cheap, faster and twice the capacity. but it still interests me if increased capacity means xtra speed, because i seem to get that impression, but its probably misleading.

4. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

If its the same speed, then it won't be faster, as the HD size only effects the capacity not the efficiency. the rotational rate effects speed so if you got a faster RPM drive it would move data more efficiently (and I just did an A+ hardware exam on this and it came up as a question)

As LordofLA said, a faster drive will create more heat so you need to make sure you have enough cooling / airflow in the laptop if you decide to go for a faster HD.