Hard Disk Format

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by percyv143, Dec 20, 2002.

1. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

HARD DISK FORMAT
    i HAVE AN WIN XP PRO AND I WANT TO RE-FORMAT MY DISK, HOW CAN I STILL OBTAIN / SECURE MY REG CODE SO THAT MICROSOFT WILL STILL RECOGNIZE THAT THIS IS THE SAME PC WITH 1ST INSTALLATION OF MY SERIAL # ???
    THANKS A LOT.

2. rettahc

rettahc Guest

Okay you can stop yelling now.

Don't worry about trying to save your activation code, just re-install and re-activate your copy of XP. I'v activate my copy of XP at least 5 times and never had a problem. The worst that'll happen is that XP will tell you that you have to call MS to get it re-activated.

3. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

reactivation code

hi. i tried doing to my xp home for at least 4 times too and had no problem. but a friend of mine had an xp pro and when he had to reinstall the os there was a stop that would ask you to enter the re-activation code. my xp pro when i installed had no stop like this but the problem is when you run an update from microsoft then it would recognize your code that it was already used and it can detect your hd that it has another diskname and they will conclude that i am installing the same xp pro code to a different pc, so update will not be available... thanks anyway...

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

See how you go with this>

XP - Re-Activation

Once you activate your copy of Windows XP operating system, a file gets created/updated in windows/system32 directory. It is called wpa.dbl file. Take a backup of this file and when you have reinstall the OS just copy it back to the same directory.

Works for some but not all.

5. percyv143

percyv143 Guest

wpa.dbl

i got it backed-up in my other folder.
    i'll try it soon when i have my hd reformatted.
    thanks a lot.