Hard disk error.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Glaanieboy, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I got two harddisks in my system. Both they are divided in 2 partitions, C and E for harddisk 1 (on IDE 0) and D, F and I for harddisk 2 (on IDE 1). I am getting more and more crashes lately and it seems that one of the disks is the cause. In the event viewer I found this:
    The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
    Does that mean the harddisk where partition D is has an error?

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

dunno, it could be a DMA error, might be driver related, if the drive was failing you would expect errors off all partitions on that drive, not just one of em. you could try the chkdsk /r command on the drive, it may allow you to dismount the volume and do it from windows, but its normally a reboot job. otherwise get the test disk for the drive and run that to check for errors and a possible low level format to cure any bugs.

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I already did that, but no errors popped up. Let's see what happens. I have looked further in the EV and I also saw 2 ATAPI errors:
    A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0
    The latest ATAPI error dated two days ago, but my computer crashed last nigh at about 3 am with a disk error. Can it be dying?

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

worst luck :( mabey it is dying.

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Hmm, I should probably take it out (not that difficult, it's in a bracket) and see how the system performs.

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

have you updated IDE drivers?

Perhaps you're using an nforce2 board?

7. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I have a MSI 6309 board with a VIA chipset. I have installed the latest VIA hyperion drivers (4.51) and I believe the IDE driver is included in there. I have checked the EV and I saw the first disk error popped up at Dec 11th, 2003, so maybe there could be an error in the drivers. Thanks for pointing that out ;)

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

No, spoke too fast, I haven't got the latest drivers, I have 4.46 installed instead. I am updating them now, I'll just have to keep an eye on it for the next weeks.

9. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

i used to get errors running UDMA mode 6 with old via drivers, had to run it UDMA 5 till i got a decent driver release.

10. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I installed the new drivers at the time I posted my last reply and I haven't got any errors since. :)

11. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Isn't it amazing what drivers can do sometimes?