Hard disk drives not detected

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Xeroe, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Xeroe

Xeroe Guest

I am booting from the XP disk, to the recovery thing. when it loads, it says hard disk drives not found, and then goes on with some other "jargon". Any ideas on whats wrong? Do note I am a :confused: n00b when it comes to hardware. Thanx :D

2. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Lets see, what happened before that. Why did you loose your disk in the first place? Also, I find that XP recovery doesn't do a good job, better do a clean install, but that's kind of hard if your system doesn't detect the HDDs. Are the cables plugged in fine at both ends?

3. Xeroe

Xeroe Guest

Cables are good, the reason i have to do a recovory is because i messed up the BOOT.ini file, putting in that i had proffesional xp instead of home, then it lets me select OS's, Pro tells me i dont have it, default restarts, and i have a blank option highlited in the margin that also restarts.... anythin come to mind?

4. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

I would do the following. Take out your harddrive, connect it to another machine, open it as secondary drive in windows, and correct the boot ini from there. I would do a clean install of XP to fix this one.