Half Life2 gets new release date

Played Painkiller and Far Cry recently, both of which have aspects of HL2 I was really looking forward to. Ah well, I will most likely buy the game anyway :)

I really think it's pathetic I don't even understand why they had to rewrite the code that was stolen, everyone knows it was stolen not like some kid can claim he helped make the game and make profit from that. Besides as many of you said HL2 better be damn! good to stand up to the competition whenever it releases (2005)?

SIRE said:
I really think it's pathetic I don't even understand why they had to rewrite the code that was stolen, everyone knows it was stolen not like some kid can claim he helped make the game and make profit from that. Besides as many of you said HL2 better be damn! good to stand up to the competition whenever it releases (2005)?
well as part of the game was to be online stolen code made it very easy for crackers to make hacks/cheats for the game ... possibly even something malicious.

Xie is right. that would not be fun/good for the game.

And i too will angrily... but happily... buy the game when it comes out. Hopefully the next tidbits at E3 will jus be a slight kick in the crotch before they release it shortly after. and hopefully..... shortly after.

I got the HL2 coupon with my graphics card.
Doesn't give a release date, but says I can download it through "Steam" when its released.
How fun will that be?

Oh yea, I really hope they bring out an Opposing Force style add-on for this game.
I reckon Op4 was slightly better than the original.

I may be called a conspiracy theorist for this but doesnt anyone find it coincidental that HL2 was not released by the original date at the same time that nvidia was having problems running it with DX9? hmmmm

uuh..... Bootsy, i don't think you are entirely correct on that one. i think they had that pretty much fixed up when good ol' september 30th rolled around.

Actually the story went like this:

~August - Steam head developer ripped Nvidia for poor DX9 Implementation.
- Estimates were that 30% of the code would need to be re-written because it played like crap on the ?5700 which was top dog at the time. Only card it ran good on was the 9700/9800.
-That means there were too few cards out there to support a game release.

~September - Oh my god our servers were hacked and our code stolen.
- (The recent NTFS disaster aside.) Programming companies do not loose code. It is in multiple levels of backup. The intrusion would not have delayed them more than a week while they unarchived the backups.

~Oct - We have new venture capital funding and will complete half life by Feb.
- Translation we stopped work for a couple months cause we were out of money to pay our programmers. We even used up the millions ATI paid us for the rights to distribute a copy with their games.

~Feb The release date is being delayed until Sept 2005 due to the code theft.
- Translation, we still aren't sure how long it will take to fix this sluggish code or even if we can. We are now stalling until the newest FX and 9700+ series cards have sold enough to justify releasing a game that supports them.

I tell or hear stories just like this every day at work. The code theft was just an extraneous event used as an excuse.

Conspiracy theory? No management spin doctoring. It's what the 7 figure a year boys get the big bucks for.

LeeJend said:
Actually the story went like this:

~September - Oh my god our servers were hacked and our code stolen.
- (The recent NTFS disaster aside.) Programming companies do not loose code. It is in multiple levels of backup. The intrusion would not have delayed them more than a week while they unarchived the backups.

I'm not defending that theory I was talking about...its just a bit too conspicous...imo

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back