half life 2 only on ati????

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by canadian_divx, Jul 28, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

2. ok, well first off Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing isn't required... secondly nvidia claims to have a fix for the bug and will be out with the next driver release. The Detonator 5's. So, relax, and dont believe everything you read on the net.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

considering the fact that you can't use AF properly on splinter cell... and seeing its popularity.. do you really think that the fact AA is not going to work properly w/o some workaround on today's cards is a problem ?

the game will run just fine... no problems... :)

nvidia has a software fix in the works from the sounds of it... whereas ati's implementation AFAIK should be hardware based... ergo faster...

again this should not make too much difference in non-AA situations...

btw... hl2 == out on xbox soon after pc date... or thereabouts...

xbox == gf3 level gpu... ergo... nvidia will have no problems with hl2 :D

4. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

ah good point, thanks everyone

5. Sazar

:)

all you need is a crowbar :D

6. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

That sounds like it kinda contradicts what the original xbitlabs article. You make it sound as if nvidia can provide a software (driver) fix but ati cannot... a hardware implementation sounds like you have to mod your card .. or update the bios?

Tell us what you know :D

7. Sazar

thats not my implication at all :)

from halflife2.net

so apparently ati is going to have a workaround in its drivers... which by implication to me means at least some work is being done by the hardware...

this is what was posted by one of the nvidia driver team members recently interviewed... NV_Derek ... and can also be found on halflife2.net

as you can see the hardware does not support centroid sampling which is where the issue arises from in the first place... neither does ati... though ati's filtering methods may well allow for a workarond to be brought up..

I have my reservations about nvidia's ps 2.0 workaround methods seeing their real world ps 2.0 speed... but if the option is available for AA to their customers... I applaud their efforts...

the next nvidia/ati cards should feature the required hardware to work properly...

not so much what I know as what I have read concerning hl2 and IHV's products EP :)

I am certainly not all knowing and may well be wrong (depends on accuracy of sources :D )

-edit- btw in my readings online... just found out that apparently ati DOES support centroid based AA... which explains why valve said a workaround is more likely for ATi... :)

8. ditchhopper

ditchhopper OSNN Addict

I Dont think its going to be such a big deal. Worst case scenario for Nvidia 9.0 supported hardware users is you just cant use all the eye candy. And with a graphic intensive game like HL2 thats probably not an option for most average users anyway.