HAL.DLL Error Plz help before I lose my mind...

sidefx

OSNN Addict
Is there a way to fix this error without formatting?

I have put my xp cd in and went to system recovery. I didn't do anything besides type exit and reboot and it gets me back into windows.

The error has happened 3 times so far today.

I checked my boot.ini file and it shows 1 partition. I have one physical drive but 4 partitions. Windows XP Pro is the only OS installed.

I have scanned my pc for viruses and for malware.

HAL.DLL = Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

You could try this...

Click Start
Run
Type in "cmd", Press Enter
Type "sfc /scannow", Press Enter

Does it happen every time you boot up? If so you need to figure out what is corrupting boot.ini (or the HAL.dlll file). A new install, malware, bad sector on the disk, etc.

If you need HAL http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal

Check/replace the boot.ini per Zombies link. If it appears ok then replace hal.dll

If it's till acting up after that run your HD diagnostics.

If you have been trying to install new software when this started. Stop that!

LeeJend said:
Does it happen every time you boot up? If so you need to figure out what is corrupting boot.ini (or the HAL.dlll file). A new install, malware, bad sector on the disk, etc.

If you need HAL http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?hal

Check/replace the boot.ini per Zombies link. If it appears ok then replace hal.dll

If it's till acting up after that run your HD diagnostics.

If you have been trying to install new software when this started. Stop that!

I just tried rebooting as this would be the first time since first posting this question after this error occured and I rebooted without any problems.

Should I go ahead and do as per Zombies link or wait til it occurs again?

Also, I downloaded the hal.dll file from the link, should I just put this in my system32 folder and replace it or just wait and see until it occurs again?

Last edited:
madmatt said:
HAL.DLL = Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL

You could try this...

Click Start
Run
Type in "cmd", Press Enter
Type "sfc /scannow", Press Enter

I did as you suggested and no error or msg was displayed when the scan finished so I take that as a good sign.

Also, I failed to mention the first time this happened was during the night as I awoke to my pc being off. The other 2 times I got a blue screen error, but I don't remember what it was about nor did I take down the error msg #.

Would this be of any extra help if it happens again?

If you follow fix that link says and have SP2 installed you need to change a line a bit.

Where it says the following: When you receive this message, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

You want to type this instead: /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Reason is SP2 added Data Execution Prevention.

Also, check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) for any warnings or errors. If so, post them here.

madmatt said:
Also, check the Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc) for any warnings or errors. If so, post them here.

I have the following logs with errors in Event Viewer:

Application Error Records
System Error Records
Custom Log Error Records

Attachments

• app_error_log.txt
    123 KB · Views: 167
  • sys_error_log.txt
    398.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back