Guild Wars Plunge Taken

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Petros, May 27, 2005.

1. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Guild Wars

I finally settled on Guild Wars, since so many people are suggesting it. Reply to this if you want to hook up in game or just say hi. Thinking about going Mesmer/Necro or Necro/Monk. Anyone think these ideas are good, bad?

I had a warlock in Warcraft because the abilities were cool and vast. Necros seem to have very similar abilities.

Edit: Now I have two good characters, a Me/Mo (who will become a Me/R later) and a E/Mo (great PvE combo!)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  2. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Hrm, I am thinking about gettings it. (Payday is tomorrow!) I have also heard that its a good game, but I have my own doubts. It looks like the game doesnt have much content... but I could be mistaken.

3. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Their focus is not so much the content, but the PvP. I plan to buzz through the game and then use it for PvP. I look at it like I look at Battlefield 2, which is ALL pvp, but in GW you get the added bonus of having a character that you have closer to your heart since you poured time and thought into him/her, with a story besides. And no monthly fees, just like Battlefield!

4. scotty588

scotty588 OSNN Addict

1st rpg I have ever played and I am hooked. I used to hate rpg's and was strictly fps games mostly cs but I haven't played cs in at least a week or so. As you can see from my xfire profile haha. Yeah its a good game. Still looking forward to Battlefield 2 though.

5. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

Unwonted.... I HATE YOU... :cry: you made it seem like you were coming back to wow....

Im so let down... we need more HORDE! we are outnumbered....

Oh, and I mean I hate you, in the nicest way possible

:)

Petros likes this.
  6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Lol...I wish I could, but I just don't want to yet. I still have this unused copy of WoW on my desk. We'll see :)

What it is about Guild Wars is that it removes literally everything that irked me about Warcraft. Tons of organized PvP, never a gank, never fighting people for mobs or rare mob spawns, travel is instantaneous, combat is simple but varied, you can dual-class, levelling is quick and fun, and you hit max level before you're done with even 1/3rd of the exploring. By the time I hit 60 in warcraft, I had been everywhere and done it all.

And since my wife and I both started at level 1 (we're level 14 now), it's all new to both of us and fun. Our computers are in the same room so we make a godlike healing/damage dealing team in pickup groups. (We can both heal thanks to dual classing, but she does more damage being a fire elementalist).

I went mesmer/monk, but I think when I reroll (and I will), I'll go Monk/Elementalist.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  7. trainmaster77

trainmaster77 Moderator Political User Folding Team

i play guild wars! name is ffut ffut if you wanna get together sometime. My guy is almost level 15. I dont play often ..but the game is much better than WOW in my opinion. Only thing thats weird is you only see other people in towns unless they are grouped with you.

My toon is Elementalist/Monk

8. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Guild wars updated yesterday!

Link

Being a World of Warcraft alumnus, frequent updates are still a novelty to me.

[rant] Six months with my warlock and the only time they ever fixed even one lock spell was when someone blew up their own auction house with it[/rant]

9. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

So after you guys have been playing this for a while, is it worth getting?

10. Petros

Petros Thief IV

My short answer is yes.

Here's the bigger explanation of how I feel:
    It honestly depends on what you like to do. Warcraft rewards mob grinding (I killed literally THOUSANDS of level 47+ furbolgs to gain faction with the Timbermaw and ran Scholomance and UBRS at least 20-30 times, and STILL didn't get my entire blue armor set), whereas this game focuses on quick play and PvP. Just by doing quests and no grinding, you can get to level 20 (max level) with decent gear in less than thirty hours of play, and even then you're only done with half the game.

If you like classic MMOs, avoid Guild Wars. It's more about quick play and developing the best PvP strategy. When you only have eight ability slots but over 100 spells (along with seven or more categories to spend your attribute points in), you're literally one in a million with your play style.

11. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Man I have to get this game.

12. trainmaster77

Re: Guild Wars

im a level 20 el/mo in game ffut ffut

13. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I tried talkin to you a couple of times. Maybe now that PMs go "ding" you might hear me :D

14. trainmaster77

right on... im playing gta san andreas at the moment ..and cant figure out how to shoot people while driving