Guide: Apache and PHP on Windows

Yes exactly a small clan web site -- I'd be runnin it on this comp as well. Do forums take alot of resources?

Okay, when i read this thread, i was acutally amaze that someone actually wrote a little tutorial on this. It got me really interested in starting my own little newbie website.

The problem is i'm very new at this. I just got finished downloading the PHP-Triad, but.. didn't get too far in it.

I guess the question, is how do you start doing this?
I got the apache to run.. but that's just about it.

would anyone help??

Ok, well next you want to put some files into C:\apache\htdocs\
to test you could simply copy and paste the following into notepad
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>test</title>
</head>
<body>
This is a test file
</body>
</html>
and save it as C:\apache\htdocs\index.html then open http://localhost/ in your browser, if that shows up with the page you just made, then you can continue to create other pages and add them to the folder. :)

Thanks.. i got it to show that.. but.. uhmm..okay.. i'm going to sound like i'm very stupid or what not.. but really.. i'm reallllly new at this thing and i'm so exacted to learn =) what to do next..

say, if i just a forum. how would i go about puting the forum into use with this?

Ok, I've had no experience at installing phpBB (perhaps someone else has) but there should be a readme or installation notes file included with it.
It will probably tell you to do soemthing along the lines of un-zipping it into your webfolder (htdocs) and editing one of the config files which will set everything up.

You will probably need to run the server and SQL daemon (available from the start menu) to get a forum working. :)

okay, besides forum..
with your guide on this php..
I should be able to host a webserver containing php's right?

yep :)
create a php file called info.php with this in
Code:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
and that will give you all the info on the PHP version that you have installed :)

i don't have a webdomain yet, does this mean, i have to have a webdomain to be able to host?

my bad, it does work!! my apache wasn't running after i rebooted the pc..

do i need a register domain or can i use a free website when running this php-apache??

Ive installed phpBB too many times :p
To install it, just go to http://localhost/phpBB2/install/install.php and fill out the relevant boxes. When thats done just press install, then Finish Installation. It will say to delete the contrib and the install directories. Just delete them and youre done!

AcidIce, when you save the file to be a .php, make sure that under filetype it says All files and NOT .txt, or it will save as info.php.txt :)

P.s for the use of phpBB, you will need to have MySQL or similar installed. I recommend getting MySQL and the Control Center for ease of use. Just create a database, call it what you like and phpBB will do the rest.

okay, i'm not having any luck with the phpbb forum thangie..

when in the http://localhost/phpinstall
i get this error after filling the textboxes

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

i installed mysql but i'm not sure if i installed it correctly cuz i can't find it running anywhere..

HELP!

you will have to actually initiate the MySQL program for it to be running

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back