Guide: Apache and PHP on Windows

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
p.s. geffy, can you make your sig(s) to 500x200 please. It stops horizontal scrolling for members who use 800x600, thanks.

Is there any play in the vertical constraints?

Sorry I dont intend this to be a thread hijack

Personally i's say we can be leniant on the vertical dimension, because some people put text under images anyway.
But the guidelines do say 500x200 and if one person makes a bigger sig, then others will follow.
Best to stick with the rules :)

K gotcha.

Now I got a question about PHP and apache, I have downloaded X-News from http://www.xqus.com, in the readme it says to change all of the files in a cerrtain folder to chmod 666 (I cant remember what 666 is but I think it might be RW-RW-RW-, or is it R-XR-XR-X) and then execute x_news.php (though apache of course) so I did that, it tells you to log into the admin account with certain password, I have tried this a few times, but it doesnt seem to work.

In the actual code it defines some variables as $global[] and so on, I think I have the default globals setting (think thats on)
The login information is stored within a file in a db folder, with the password md5 encrypted, so I think all of the relavent login information is there, I just cant seem to get it all to work together.

i just put in phpdev, for some reason i cannot connect to my database...i know sql is working on my comp, cuz the forum that comes with it works.....can anyone help??

Peace

Originally posted by nymyth
i just put in phpdev, for some reason i cannot connect to my database...i know sql is working on my comp, cuz the forum that comes with it works.....can anyone help??

Peace

Wow you have been waiting a long time

urmm how are you trying to connect to the database, have you made a new one for your site, and a username and password and that kind of thing for your php to login with?

Try that and see how it goes

right I have just (actually done this before and same problems) installed Apache as a Service, now whenever I have apache running as a service, it always results in some instability in explorer, so randomly at amost anytime the taskbar/icons and stuff (any open explorer windows included) will just all close down, then the taskbar and icons will come back, and everything will be kind of OK, except that just about all of the icons that used to be in the system tray arent displayed. Except ironically all of the normal MS ones (MSN, Volume, Network Icon).

Is there anything that I can do to fix this, something in the httpd.conf file or modifying the service information.

Whats the default UN and pass for phpmyadmin db? I know the UN is root, but what about the password?

Also, what is the DBN name?

if you are talkin about phpdev, then there isnt one

if this is on a server you have set phpMyAdmin up on, then it is whatever you set it to using the command line
mysqladmin -u root -p password

something like that anyways

Is there a reason why everytime I reboot my 2k server box, my DB crashes?

I did

Hi speedy..

I did try this and it was fine, well written so straitforward to understand. A problem i came across though was [no screaming when i say the letters] A O L! I hate the isp but living on the Isle of Wight I have to put up with it for now. It's the only ISP that does give me 24/7 access and BT are going to update the exchange in the next couple of Months... ohhhh lovely, so broadband :cool:

some of you have got some quality sigs... I'll have to get all this code writing sorted, just to show off hahah

Thanks Geffy

I read a subject on this by speedy, another good subject.

Thanks for the forum info.. I'll check this out later..

nice one

Oops, forgot about this thread.
Right....
dubstar
i tried the first step... going to PHPTrian Control Panel, and the dos box says "Missing Bat File"... and i cant go to http://localhost:1005

but http://localhost/ works:confused:

also, i read that somebody has WinXP Firewall running.. how do i set that up?
To get the control panel running on port 1005 you need to run C:\apache\controlpanel.BAT first, this will get whats needed up and running.
If that bat file is missing (shouldnt be..) then you can go to start > run then enter the following.
Code:
c:\apache\Apache -n "PHPGeekUtil" -k start
you should now be able to access localhost 1005

XP's firewall is in your connection properties.
Pop open network connections, find your connection, then right click, then click properties, the firewall options are on the last tab on the right.

jkoXP
Is there a reason why everytime I reboot my 2k server box, my DB crashes?
How do you mean crash?
Are you shutting down the daemon before shut down the box, or are you letting Windows kill the process itself?

Geffy
good place to get help with PHP/MySQL is X-Istence.com Forums
Nice Plug :D

The full version of the lite version thats complete?
:p

It does make more sense when you visit the site.
I'm still a wordpad junkie for my coding though :)

whats the benefits for running a php based web server (page)? I'm just curious b/c I want to make a clan site and wish to do the right way the first time and not take forever + I don't know html software I have to edit html in notepad b/c I'm new like that.

So what good will PHP do me guys?

PHP is a server-side scripting language. So you can create dynamic content on webpages, and reuse your code site-wide.

ok so how much coding will I actually be doing? I don't even enjoy HTML'ing most of the time. Isn't there something 90% menu based?

Also if I run a PHP-Triad server how do I run a forum on it? Are there good forums I can get for free to use? Does PHP-Triad have a built in forum to use?

Answers please :D

what kind of stuff do you want on your site? Forums, downloads, screenshots, stats that kind of thing?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back