GTA3 needs more than 12mb of ram

baser5nature

OSNN Addict
wtf??? i just installed GTA3, and when i click the .exe, it tells me

"Grand Theft Auto III needs at least 12MB of available video memory"

none of my other games complain... i've got a geforce 4 mx 440 with 64mb ddr, detonators 43.51 (had same problem with previous detonators), and when i use "dxdiag" no video memory is reported, and the direct3D 7 test fails (i'm using 9.0a)

does GTA3 just not work with DX9.0???

Originally posted by baser5nature
wtf??? i just installed GTA3, and when i click the .exe, it tells me

"Grand Theft Auto III needs at least 12MB of available video memory"

none of my other games complain... i've got a geforce 4 mx 440 with 64mb ddr, detonators 43.51 (had same problem with previous detonators), and when i use "dxdiag" no video memory is reported, and the direct3D 7 test fails (i'm using 9.0a)

get the latest Detenator drivers for your 3d card.

i think the 43.51 are already the latests :S i never got that error and im paying gta3 with a geforce2 mx440 64mb. it think it has something to do with dx9 try to go back to dx8 and amybe that will solve things

it works fine for me > same card > DX9a > 41.09 drivers

might be worth reinstalling DX9 > that seems to be the root of the problem if its failing tests

:huh:

Re: Re: GTA3 needs more than 12mb of ram

Originally posted by Octopus
get the latest Detenator drivers for your 3d card.

read the friggin post man, he has the latest.

GTA3 is a dog mate, i uninstalled as it played but the video was shite

TI4600
XP2700+
EVERYTHING UPDATED !
still crap.

Re: Re: Re: GTA3 needs more than 12mb of ram

Originally posted by GoNz0
read the friggin post man, he has the latest.

GTA3 is a dog mate, i uninstalled as it played but the video was shite

TI4600
XP2700+
EVERYTHING UPDATED !
still crap.

well roling back might solve the problme

or download and install the full version of DX9a, its around somewere, MSFN.org was hosting it.

its a known bug with GTA, nothing wrong with yr computer.

I dont remember the solution but go to the gta forums
and do a search, ull find the solution there.

EDIT: I did the search for you and found the solution.

first of all close all yr applications in the background and if you win xp download the text patch.

then try this:
1.The fault seems to be lying in Direct X 8.1..
Click on the Display tab.
Search for "Approx", "Total Memory" you should see "Unknown" or "N/A".
Running the Direct3D Acceleration test will give you an error something like
"step 8 error, no video memory"
The solution suggested by a person: (i don't think the netmeeting bit is even necessary,
maybe worth skipping)
Go into Netmeeting, go to.... Call>Host Meeting
then click the "OK" button, then go to Call>Exit.
The go to my computer; Go to sharing in these drives
(right click and it should be in the menu) and makes sure they all say
'DO NOT SHARE THIS DRIVE', then go back in to DXDIAG and go back to the display screen..
It should now have the memory available and your game should work.

dropping the resolution i believe this cured the problem

u might want to go back to DX 8.1 since the solution that i posted works there and i dont think yr card benefits from DX9.

thanks for all the help...

i know my card doesn't have DX9 hardware support, but i figured all the DX8 stuff would be in tip top shape, and it's been quite some time since i installed DX9, using system restore is not really an option to get rid of DX9... and that's the only way to get rid of it isn't it? i'll see how that sharing and security thing works out...

thanks for all the help...

i know my card doesn't have DX9 hardware support, but i figured all the DX8 stuff would be in tip top shape, and it's been quite some time since i installed DX9, using system restore is not really an option to get rid of DX9... and that's the only way to get rid of it isn't it? i'll see how that sharing and security thing works out...

your card does not have to have dx9 in order to use dx9... if you have a gf4mx card it is actually a dx7 part... and obviously you do not seem to have problems with dx 8.1 :)

with the newer drivers you may not have the proper support for your card inherited like in the previous dets... I am speculating here...

if the game works fine with previous versions than go ahead and use the previous versions of dets with dx9 support...

else go ahead and roll back to dx8.1 with one of the directx uninstallers on this site some place... just do a search and check it out :)

install dx8.1 and drive away :D

gta III is one of the more fun games I have played in the last year or so..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back