Growl

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by muzikool, May 4, 2006.

1. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Growl is a free notification application that I've just started using. I'm sure some of you Mac users have it, but I wanted to post about it for those of you who hadn't heard of it.

Many OS X apps already have Growl compatibility built-in, so there's minimal configuration requirements. I'm currently using Growl for notification of events in iTunes, Mail and Skype. There are many other applications that are compatible, though.

The basic functionality of Growl is that it presents a small notification window (usually just under the time and Spotlight icon) when certain events happen in applications. In iTunes it presents the track information for each song that is played, for Mail it alerts you of new messages, and for Skype it notifies you of users coming and going and messages or files received. Growl is installed as a pane in System Preferences, and there you can choose which application events you want notification of. It's really simple and I've found it to be a nice addition to OS X. :)

http://growl.info/

Techno Child likes this.
  2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I am using Growl, and it is great!

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It's one of the first things to be installed whenever I set-up a fresh copy of OS X :D

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Yep love it, more and more things are using Growl for notification as well which is cool.

Most useful thing in my mind if the GrowlTunes thinger which shows you which song just started. Means you can nip those songs from your playlist that you arent too enthusiastic about in the bud before they really get going :p

5. SPeedY_B

It's even easier to do that with Menuet. (http://www.menuetapp.com/) it supports growl, and lets you skip right from the menu bar :)

Currently I've got growl plug-ins for:
    • Adium
    • Colloquy
    • CyberDuck
    • GrowlMail
    • KisMac
    • Meetro
    • Shiira
    • Menuet

6. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

nifty app.... I have it for my iBook, however it's disabled most of the time because it kinda gets anoying when i'm using too many things that are setup with it.

7. SPeedY_B

What have you got set-up with it ? The only time it can get annoying and fills my screen with notifications is when I open Mail after having it closed a few hours.

8. Techno Child

Techno Child web{designer} Folding Team

yes, mail does get annoying at times, however even itunes is anoying because i have a widget that controls itunes and if i keep skipping tracks to get to what i want it keeps coming up with the titles...

it's a really neat thing though for a custom looking desktop :D