Green Card Lottery

themafia_69 said:
hey guys, today im in here, for my dad, my sisters and i have decided that he needs to move to canada or the states, as we all hate egypt, lol! and ive seen these sites on the net a lot, the question is do they really work? i heard they really do, and my second question is which one is the best one or are they all the same? i found this one but dont know why it has a .de extension not a .com if its suppose to be from the states

American Dream

there are a coupla sites out there with better information than the one you have listed... a green card application does NOT have to be filed electronically last I checked (which was a week ago)... when you check the USCIS website you will find out where the international hq's are for processing... there are 3 MAIN international ones IIRC and of course numerous other processing centers... you can call them for information.. they all have personnel who can help you out with processing information pertaining to ANY questions you have (ie for financial liabilities/costs and what not.. the documents/procedures required and everything else... generally extremely helpful and knowledgeable people)

when you fill out the paper-work for change-of-status or whatever purposes you still need to show certain things (if I remember correctly)

check out the USCIS website for information on green cards... green card lottery and change of status to find out the packages and the information required if you don't get someone to help you on the phones... or the website..

Sazar seriously it was £85,000 with the slightly better properties upto £160,000

You would be lucky to get a parking space for 85 k in England.

85k pounds is a different story... :)

given that the person you were discussing with was in the US I assumed you were talking about dollars in which respect it would be a whole other scenario...

my apologies for the confusion...

Yeah, there's a difference betwen 85,000 pounds and $85,000 USD...and like saz when a person mentions buying something in the US, I tend to assume the given price is in USD, unless the unit is provided otherwise...

Needless to say I had something imported from England sometime back and in USD the conversion ratio (what they took off my check card) was like 2.5x the listed value in pounds or something. It was a couple years back, so I don't remember the exact ratio off the top of my head anymore...

Son Goku said:
Yeah, there's a difference betwen 85,000 pounds and $85,000 USD...and like saz when a person mentions buying something in the US, I tend to assume the given price is in USD, unless the unit is provided otherwise...

Needless to say I had something imported from England sometime back and in USD the conversion ratio (what they took off my check card) was like 2.5x the listed value in pounds or something. It was a couple years back, so I don't remember the exact ratio off the top of my head anymore...
That same house in an average part of the UK would set you back £1.7 million
around $3.12 million USD.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants_types_diversity.html

This is the site you'd want to look at, methinks, although they already have everyone through 2005 for the U.S. Personally, I'd check out Canada. Quite honestly, the U.S. is going to **** anyway, with all these social conservatives ruining everything here. If you're tired of small-minded Egyptians, then you won't like it when you run into small-minded Americans here. Just a tip: if you and your family happened to be interested in starting a business in Canada, they'd probably be very receptive, from what I've heard.

I'm looking to move to Toronto myself, currently. I'd never give up my U.S. citizenship, merely because I still care immensely for this nation (read: "patriotism"), but I'm going to readily admit that I'm not going to live my life in misery for this nation to get its priorities straight. Instead, I'd rather come back in 20 years.

Melon

thanks for your reply, yeah anyways we were thinking better to go to canada for my dad anyways, and yes also i heard about opening a business is very welcome, and my dad is an engineer i heard they really want engineers even though they want younger ones, ill start searching more on canada, but trust me the egyptians that live in egypt and have never stepped foot out are totaly FU**ed up!

To immigrate to Canada it should take you a while - 2 or 3 years. Also, get a lawyer who will do all the paper work for you, it speeds up the process quite a bit. Just wanted to tell you that it might take longer than you expect.

canada is easier to migrate to than the US.. and once you are residing there you can easily come across the border...

Sazar said:
canada is easier to migrate to than the US.. and once you are residing there you can easily come across the border...

Wasn't the US easier pre 9/11?

Even in Canada they have toughened up the immigration since I came here...

Lee said:
That same house in an average part of the UK would set you back £1.7 million
around $3.12 million USD.

That sounds about right for the conversion ratio. BTW, I wasn't saying houses weren't cheaper, just that when peeps talk about price of good in US, there's a natural tendency to assume that US currency or USD is what's meant unless it's explicitly stated otherwise. I made the same assumption myself, though $85,000 USD does seem a bit on the low side. Tis all... :cool:

It might be easier to immigrate to Canada. I'm not sure how it went for him, but Uncle Fatty (as they call him) left Hong Kong before the Chinese moved in (heard this second hand, so don't know the details of how he arranged all...)

This is where I hate to mention something...but I'm not sure about how some Americans will re-act to an Egyption :( A friend of mine had many fellow employees who were Muslim at the place he worked, and right after 9/11 everything wasn't necessarily easy for them, apperently. Not sure I'd want to say much in this vein though...

Son Goku said:
This is where I hate to mention something...but I'm not sure about how some Americans will re-act to an Egyption :( A friend of mine had many fellow employees who were Muslim at the place he worked, and right after 9/11 everything wasn't necessarily easy for them, apperently. Not sure I'd want to say much in this vein though...

Well there will be always those who are *******s, and those are don't mind at all. But the *******s are in the minority.

Yeah, unfortunately in the days following 9/11, I was for instance listening to the radio. There was an Arab who was in their store, afraid for their life, because they thorougly expected certain retaliation to be taken against them, personally. I don't know if this ever occured, heard it in a news broadcast while driving home. Then there was what this friend told me from conversations he had with some of his co-workers.

It's unfortunate really; and really serves to do nothing but exacberate tensions. I'm not sure if the detaining of people is still going on, but there was mention of secret trials, using secret evidence before foreign intelligence court sometime back.

Speaking of which, I'm going to be going to a family reunion next month. I haven't flown since 1997; and tbh am a bit nervious of getting stopped under these new survellance provisions, and what exactly could I be put through... :eek: I have nothing (in terms of experience) however to tell me what I might be in for, so can't say for certain...

One thing wrong with an engineer planning to move to the USA or Canada.

All our tech jobs are being shipped to Russia (missles and space), India (Software and Support) and China (microelectronics and hardware). Now even the defense department work is being sent overseas to Europe.

Our labor rates are too high and the only way to bring them down is to cut off health care and cut wages. Food for potential immigrants to think on. The "American Dream" just isn't affordable now that we've squandered most of the easily accessible natural resources.

PS - For the non-technical immigrant you can find US manufacturing jobs in Mexico (food processing and final assembly) and Southeast Asia (clothing, furniture and electronics).

Son Goku said:

o_87 said:
Well there will be always those who are *******s, and those are don't mind at all. But the *******s are in the minority.

I'm sure there were some a******s who did get out of hand...but I guess it depends on the place/people. At least two Muslims in my workplace, both of whom I have contact with daily, thankfully, no one gave them a hard time, as it should be.

Now, on the other hand if they were Democratic Muslims.... :p :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back