Graphics card for a7n8x-e mobo

boot_hill374

OSNN Junior Addict
I have an Asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard in the pc I am building. Could someone please help. I got no supporting documentation with it as it was bought off Ebuyer as OEM. Could someone please advise on its graphics capabilities ie do I need a seperate graphics card, and if so, which one would best suit the board?:)

this should help you out...

Specifications and Package

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
CPUs
AMD Athlon XP 266/333/400MHz FSB
AMD Athlon 200/266MHz FSB
AMD Duron 200/266MHz FSB​
Chipset
NVIDIA nForce2 chipset
- nForce2 Ultra 400
- nForce2 MCP-T​
FSB frequencies
100-300MHz (with 1MHz increment)​
Overclocking friendly functions
Adjustable Vcore, Vmem, Vagp, North Bridge voltage.
Independently adjustable AGP bus frequency​
Memory
3 DDR DIMM slots for dual- and single-channel PC1600 (DDR200), PC2100 (DDR266), PC2700 (DDR333) and PC3200 (DDR400) SDRAM​
AGP slot
AGP 8x​
Expansion slots (PCI/ACR/CNR)
5/0/0​
USB 2.0 ports
6 (4 – on the back panel)​
IEEE1394 ports
2 ports implemented via the chipset South Bridge and Realtek 8801B PHY controller​
ATA-100/133
2 ATA/33, ATA/66, ATA/100 and ATA/133 channels,
UDMA Modes 3, 4, 5 and 6​
Serial ATA
2 Serial ATA channels via Silicon Image Sil3112À controller with RAID 0 and 1, 0+1 support​
Integrated sound
APU NFORCE MCP-Ò and Realtek ALC650 codec​
Integrated network
NVIDIA nForce2 MCP-T + Realtek RTL8201BL LAN PHY and Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit LAN​
Additional features
ASUS WiFi slot​
Form-factor
ATX, 305mm x 245mm​

I suggest a GeForce 6800GT. I have one in an Abit board with similar specs and the same chipset, and it works great. Any manufacturer of the card should be fine, I prefer Leadtek myself!

Thanks for the quick reply. However I am a newbee to the pc building fraternity and your wealth of information has just pushed me into overload!!

Let me explain. Once upon a time I purchased a complete setup from Time Computers. After upgrading the hard drive and adding a graphics card (Voodoo3), it soon became apparent that the system could not take any more so I decided, nervously, to attempt to build my own. The Voodoo card does not fit the Asus a7n8x-e motherboard so my system is currently running without one. When I go online, any site that is showing movement (ads etc)causes my monitor to flicker a lot. This is why I began to wonder whether the motherboard had its own graphics capabilities. I cannot understand why I get the flickering :)

"Voodoo card does not fit the Asus a7n8x-e motherboard so my system is currently running without one."

A system can't run without video. There is either an add in card or video is built into the MB. The a7n8x-e does not have built in video. You must have the part number of your MB wrong.

There is no reason a voodoo 3 card would not fit into a a7n8x-e MB. It either fits into the Brown AGP slot or one of the white PCI slots depending on whether the voodoo 3 you have is PCI or AGP.

Something is missing from what you have told us.

Download a free program called cpuz.exe it is available here
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
click on the CPU-Z 1.31 link in the upper right corner of the page under the words latest version.

When you install and run the program click on the tab marked Mainboard and it will tell you what the motherboard make and model is.

Manufacturer - ASUSTeK Computer INC
Model - A7N8X-E Rev 2.xx
Chipset - nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400 Rev C1
Southbridge - nVidia nForce2 MCP-T
Sensor - Asus ASB100

BIOS
Brand - Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version - ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe ACPI BIOS Rev 1009
Date - 02/04/2004

Hope this helps you help me

Well, obviously, you have to be using the Voodoo or you wouldn't even be able to boot.

OK, I am stupid, the voodoo card is in a PCI slot. However, I have changed it for a SIS6326 PCI slot card, dowloaded the relevant drivers for the card, and the screen still flickers. As an explanation to the 'flickering', for example, if a web page is carrying a banner advert of a vehicle passing across the screen, each frame of the vehicle is shown as is passes across the screen, thus giving the impression of flickering. I have eliminated the monitor from my enquiries because I still get the flickering when I hook my base unit up to a modern Dell TFT monitor.:dead:

????

That is a very slow video card at work. The Voodoo is ancient and so is that SIS card. Any PCI slot card is going to be unpleasant even just surfing the web. I assume you are running the monitor at 1024 or higher resolution. It will work smoother at 800x600 but it's painful surfing at that low of a resolution since most pages are designed for 1024 or higher. You also need to go into display properties appearnce tab then select effects and uncheck transition effects and show contents while dragging.

Balance is important when upgrading. There is no point in doing a high speed motherboard and processor upgrade when the video card can't push the info out to the screen fast enough. You really need an AGP graphics card. the PCI interface is too slow. The minimum I'd consider is an nvidia 5200.

You could also still have a driver conflict / issue. Download ccleaner.exe (it's free) and remove any video drivers and then reinstall the drivers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back