Graphic Card problem. plz help

C

cold_acid1

hi all.
i have a problem with my graphic card. 3 months ago a bought a graphic card ASUS N6600/256MB. last month i had some problem with it (when i start the computer -after the windows loads- on the screen apears vertical lines on the monitor, i send it to the store and they repaired it) now when i want to play a movie, it won't play, the computer begins to work very hard, everything works so slowly. when i open the TASK MANAGER it tells me that the player usage 100% of the CPU. i have put codecs, the newest driver from Nvidia is installed. i don't know what to do. plz help.

The card it dying, as it is only 3 months old the shop should just replace it for you... don't take no for an answer. repairing it is bullsh!t. MAKE them replace it.

Thank you for your replay. i put the graphic card into my friend's PC today, and it works great. the games and the movies are working good. So i think the problem is in my MotherBoard. anyone have an idea? could it be the AGP slot? my motherboard is MATSONIC MS8167C.

Are you seeing vertical streaks of dots on boot-up?? Sounds so familiar to the problem that I'm having on my desktop right now. I'm really cheesed off coz it's like just outside the manufacturer's warranty period. :(

nope. there is no vertical lines or dots. the graphic card works good. when i want to play a movie, it works so slowly. i put it on my friend's PC and it works good there. games and movies are working good. i think i have a problem with my motherboard not with my graphic card. i dont know what to do.

i don't think it is the CPU. because the games work well.

It does not sound like a hardware problem.

When they repaired your computer they probably corrupted your video playback software. Either the program itself or the playback files called CODECs.

Make sure you have a copy of the original program first!
Then try uninstalling the program you use to play movies (Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, etc.), then reinstall it.

If that does not work try downloading a program called VLC.exe. It is free and will play anything. If VLC works then you know all your hardware is good and you have missing CODECs or a corrupted video program.

thanks for your reply. i have uninstalled the CODECs (AceMegaCodec) and reinstalled it, it does not work. i tried the VLC.exe program, it does not work either. i formated the windows and installed the codecs again. it doesn't work. Maybe it's something in the Nvidia control panel, i verified the setting there and it seems everything is ok. i have no idea what could it be the problem.

More than likely they didn't repair it.

Retail stores mark up cards by a high precentage, so they can do sales and discounts.

Go get a refund or ask for a new card.

Do games play ok on your computer? If they do and the card works fine in another computer then your MB and video card are ok. It has to be a software problem.

If games are slow also on your computer then it could be the AGP drivers for the MB. To reload the MB AGP drivers:
-Make sure you have the correct drivers for your computer
-Set the display to 800x600 so you cna see the screens after reboot.
-Go to device manager and delete the AGP devices drivers under the System Devices and reboot.
-Now load the drivers again and reboot.
- Now windows should find and install your video card and it's drivers.

I tend to agree with LeeJend on this one....

Not to say that Lee could not also be right, just the way the evidence stacks up....

Must be helluva frustrating though - hope you get it sorted soon and looking forward to hearing how you fix it!

i don't find the AGP devices under the System Decives, i found PCI bus, PCI standard ISA bridge, PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge, no AGP devices. do you mean to reinstall the graphic card driver? if so, i done that and it's not working.

drivercleaner driver cleaner cleanerdriver (someone do the linkie thing) I am out of gas here...

If you are not finding an AGP device it sounds like the MB drivers did not get installed. This could explain slow performance. There should be a listing for an AGP to PCI bridge device under System.

If you have your original MB install CD the drivers will be on it. If not the MB website should have a downloadable version.

ieeeeei. it works. the movies work fine. you were right. i didn't install the MB driver :). you helped me so much. you can't imagine how happy i am. thank you all very v.v.v.v much. :)

Feel free to use the rep system as much as you want. Hit the gold star by our names.

Repairing a graphics card is such a BS move by a store :S They should have replaced it when you brought it in.

yeah..... retail outlets can't REPAIR a card...... unless maybe a capacitor or something blew and they know how to either surface-solder or solder very small pads (forget.... is that micro-soldering?). Usually their "repair" jobs tend to be a brief moment of inspecting for any physical damage, seeing nothing (since you don't really ever notice anything visually wrong on a dead card unless something went REALLY wrong), fiddling around with it a bit till they get it to what they believe to be working condition, and charging an arm and a leg for hours of work that probably took them an hour at most.

not saying that's what they did..... just a possibility. if any retail store tells you they're going to "repair" a piece of hardware...... tell them you want it REPLACED, not repaired. if they give you some crap about them not being able to replace the card for some stupid reason or another, and you're still within the amount of time said store gives you to return something if there's something wrong, tell the company-trained idiot that you'll take the computer elsewhere to get a second opinion. if he says he'll talk to a supervisor or something and see if it can be replaced, let him. if it can't, take the computer home, remove the card yourself (if it actually is a card you purchased yourself, and not one that came with the computer), take the card to the store, return/exchange it for a new one, and install the card.

what store did you take it to by the way? and, did you purchase the card separately, or did it come with a pre-built computer?

ieeeeei. it works. the movies work fine. you were right. i didn't install the MB driver :). you helped me so much. you can't imagine how happy i am. thank you all very v.v.v.v much. :)

so nice to see a happy camper!

and LeeJend carries the day - no doubt next time we will all think drivers does not ONLY mean GFX drivers or for the device in question - it mean ALL drivers :up:

reppage indeedy.... I suspect I have teh power....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back